rough idle, just changed GP's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 07:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rough idle, just changed GP's

Hey guys,
Just changed my gp's no proplems with the installation and no wiring harness problems. Then I was tring to locate a fuel leak near the center of the engine near the fuel filter housing. I carefulley sprayed some degreeser and lightly sprayed water and cleaned the area to see what was going on. Today the truck is idling real rough, and I had 2 30 amp fuses blown. Which i replaced and have not blown out since replacing. The only place i lightly spayed was around the fuel filter housing, and valve cover. I am getting no codes. Any Ideas greatly apreciated. Also I did change the fuel filter. I assume i shorted something out?????? Thanks Guys the best site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 07:53 AM

rough idle 96 ps 200,000

Hey guys, also when I plug in the scanner the truck shuts off. I am just hopeing it will dry out, is there anything else to look at? The truck was running great before this, should have lived with the fuel slicks!!! Thank guys
Old 11-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Emergency Services

when replacing fuel bowl o-rings on our '99 brush truck i soaked the thing with degreaser and water to clean the crap out and no problem. what fuses were blown? how bad is the leak? if fuel is coming OUT, water could go IN.

scanner killed my truck and the chief's so i dont think that has anything to do with this.

re check the wiring harness, a wire could be shorted or torn, the UVC harness gets REAL close to rocker arms which arent forgiving.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That's weird.

I've never shorted anything out on my truck cleaning the engine.

I just spray degreaser on everything, and then hose it all off.

I cover the alternator tho with a plastic bag.

I've never had any problems
Old 11-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

did you crush any of the wires under the valve cover when putting it back on.Easy to do this may be an issue? Cause then if they are crushed on your valve cover id reckon theyd be grounding out
Old 11-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

what fuses where blown? did it run rough before you changed your glowplugs?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 AM

Roghg idle 96 ps

Thanks for your replys guys. The truck was idling perfect before I changed the GP's on the passenger side. As everyone knows it is pretty tight reinstalling the VC's on the passenger side. After doing the GP's, I did wash the engine with a degreeser and lightly sprayed it to check for a fuel leak. So maybe I hit a wire. I actually did not remove vc completly off, just slid it down.
My question is, what would cause the rough idle at all speeds. The wires looked fine when I did the GP"S The engine really buckles and shakes at 40-50mph. Which it never did. Would a short do this? The water/degreeser was around the fuel bowl area.
What would be the best thing to do?
Thanks for all your resposes such a great help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.