Dual Tanks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dual Tanks

Is there a thread for troubleshooting dual tanks....1995 7.3..... ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not in particular. Depends on what the problem is.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well, so far, not sure WHAT the problem is, other than when I test drove the truck before purchasing it, the guy told me the front tank was "empty"...since I wasnt sure if i was buying it yet, at the end of my test run I put 10 bucks in the front, flipped the switch and it went higher than it was....ok, no prob....So yesterday I was less than 1/4 on the rear, time to open the wallet and filler up....got 11 gallons in the front and 10 in the rear (supposed to be 18/19 gallons)...front showed 1/2 tank, the rear full(was snowing like a mofo and didnt wanna deal with it last night) , this AM when I left for work threw it to the front and it said 1/4 full, not wanting to risk running it out of fuel if there was a problem with it I threw to the rear for drive to work, left work tonight let it idle for about 30 minutes on front tank, then left work, drove about 10 miles out of the way and it never sputtered or anything, stayed at 1/4 tank...no spillage that I can see...

So my ultimate question is (1st dual tank diesel I have owned)....what is the stock setup for a 1995 ? where are the pumps/valves...may just be the gauges are stuck on the front and the rear may be sticking too....guess i may just drive til sputter and throw to rear and see how far she goes....

Last edited by Buckeye_Joe; 03-26-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:19 PM

The only pump is the mechanical lift pump on the block, run by a 17th lobe on the camshaft. There's a valve on the frame rail; it switches both supply and return (therefore six connections). When the valve flips from one tank to the other, it throws a switch that switches the feed for the dash gauge from one sending unit to the other.

I have a PDF of the diagram from the EVTM at home; I'll post it later if I don't kill the brain cells carrying the reminder btw. now and then....

The gauge and senders are notoriously inaccurate. You may also have a problem with one or both filler necks, kicking the nozzle off before the tank is full. There's a mod for that, which also allows you to fill the tanks a LOT faster.

Pickups - front tank is 19 gallon long bed, 16 gallon short bed. Rear tank is 18 gallon.
The Following User Says Thank You to madpogue For This Useful Post:
Buckeye_Joe (03-27-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

awesome, thanks for the reply, yes its a long bed...forgot to mention that....
Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 PM

Here's the doc. If it turns out too cr@ppy to read on a download, try: http://userpages.chorus.net/elephant...nkSelector.pdf .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FuelTankSelector.pdf (379.8 KB, 25 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to madpogue For This Useful Post:
Buckeye_Joe (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 03:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Again, last Question...what is this MOD for the fuel neck you speak of??
Old 03-27-2014, 04:22 AM

In a nutshell, you remove the inner hose, and run a small hose from the vent on top of the tank back to the neck; requires fabbing in a fitting for that hose. Do a search, here and on the other forum sites, for "fast fill mod".
Old 04-30-2014, 01:43 PM

my rear tank runs out of fuel at around 14 gallons.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:28 PM

^^^^ That's another problem. Common one. The "showerhead" (strainer on the end of the pickup) inside the tank has broken or fallen off. As a result, the pickup tube reaches only about 3/4 of the way down the tank, so the truck "runs dry" when you actually have about 1/4 tank of fuel in it. Solution - drop the tank (or pull the bed), remove the sender/pickup assembly (get a new lock ring; you're bound to trash yours upon removal), and replace this -
Amazon.com: E5tz9j306ba Oem Diesel Ford Fuel Tank Sender Pickup Screen/Strainer: Automotive Amazon.com: E5tz9j306ba Oem Diesel Ford Fuel Tank Sender Pickup Screen/Strainer: Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.