Pickup ran great- 10 mins later won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pickup ran great- 10 mins later won't start

Ok guys I don't post on here much, I'm more of just a reader, but I need your help. I've got a 97 7.3 stroke with 140,000 on it pretty much all stock (no mods to engine in anyway, no chip etc.) and I have never had a days problem with this pickup. It has always been reliable and will start right up every time....except this time. My wife and I jumped in my pickup and ran across town (about 8 miles) to our friends place. I backed up to his shop and grabbed my tile saw that I borrowed him and sat there and talked for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, my wife had wondered up to their house to go hang out with my friends wife. After talking, my friend and I decided to head up to the house (which is only about 400 yds from the shop) so I jump back in the pickup, start it up (with no problem), and drive up to his house. My wife and I sat a their house about another 10 minutes then we decided to go home. We walk out to my pickup, everything seems fine, (WTS light came on and went back off as usual), I go to crank the pickup, and thats all it will do. My pickup won't even try to start, just crank. I have done some reading on here, and I haven't found a situation like this. Most people have chips, or the pickup has sat for years and they are trying to get it running, or there have been some sort of warning signs, but I can't find anything on 1 minute I think I have the most reliable truck in the world that I would take anywhere without hesitation, to the next minute never feeling so betrayed in my life by the one thing I love more than my wife. If you guys could help me I would be forever greatful.

Observations:

-I filled up with diesel about 4 days ago, and the tank I am running on is at around a little less than a 1/4 of a tank right now. (it ran on the other 3/4 just fine)

-I removed the filter cap, and the bowl was full of fuel. Filter looked fine.

-I changed the oil approx 2,000 miles ago with Rotella, and the oil level was fine.

-The pickup cranked fine, but not for long before it pulled the battery down. I've got the charger on the batteries right now, but I may need two new ones as I didnt think these were that weak.

-The WTS light came on and went off like usual, but the pickup was still warm so I wouldn't think it would be a glow plug issue as it starts fine all the time.

Plans:

My wife is picking me up a Camshaft Position Sensor (as I have never replaced mine) and a new fuel filter so I can install them this evening.

I am going to check the fuel pressure to make sure that all is well there.

If the batteries are weak, I am going to pickup two new interstates this afternoon.

I know there are some fuses that probably need to be checked, it was dark when we were supposed to leave his house, so I didnt get to do much troubleshooting.

Questions:

Would a CPS fail suddenly and cause your pickup to not to start as mine did, or is this more of a gradual failure that gets worse?

What are some other items that are known to fail suddenly that could explain it?

Thanks for your help and understanding during this hard time. I haven't been this distraught since my puppy got ran over when I was a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cps is a on or off kinda thing.. it just quits lol. I keep a spare with me just in case lol. If it isnt that... im not to awful sure being you have fuel. And it just isnt fireing. If it is turning over strong provly isnt the battery's. Id go CPS.. ICP possibly?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-20-2014, 08:10 AM

x2 on the cps.

Check fuse 22. The fuel bowl heater commonly shorts out blowing the fuse and causing a no start.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what happens after I get home from work and can check the fuse and replace the CPS.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Alright, replaced the CPS and fuse 22 was good. Also replaced the fuel filter for the heck of it. Still no luck. Pulled the FPR screen and it was dirty as hell, cleaned it and put it back in and still no luck. Any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 PM

Just gona go down a list of thoughts. There is fuel in bowl so it should have fuel to fire...
Does it turn over fine and just not fire?
Drain bowl see if it fills..
If its week turning over coukd be the starter. .
Umm. If you had a auto engenuity could check your hpop is pumping to push fuel...
Could be icp but doubt it it should run

Old 03-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Ok, I drained the fuel bowl and it fills up just fine. Which would tell me my transfer pump is working fine(right?). Also, the truck cranks just fine, but all the cranking on it drains the batteries pretty quick. It probably wouldnt hurt to put some new batteries in it, but I had the charger on them all day yesterday, so they had plenty of jucie to turn the pickup over after replacing the CPS and filter. Also, I would buy the Auto Enginuity in a heartbeat if its worth it and would keep me from buying and replacing 10 parts that dont need to be.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Well your getting fuel to the filter... just dont know if the motor is getting it.. not fireing im guessing not.. you could try a very very little starting fluid.. and I mean very little. If it fires... rhen you know its not fueling

Old 03-21-2014, 07:06 AM

Sorry im not sure of a way to check your hpop manualy.. could google ot maybe? If you were in ohio id bring my ae over lol

Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 AM

Is the tach moving when you crank it? May sound dumb but try wiggling some wires around and see if something is loose. Wiggle a little then crank, these old wires don't like diesel much and sometime the smallest little issue will cause big trouble. I don't think an ICP would cause a no start issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.