Cold Start Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Start Issues

Hey! I hope someone can help me out. My truck is tempermental at 32 degrees and below. Truck cranks but won't stay running unless i am on the throttle keeping RPMs up. Even after 2 minutes of this, the idle will drop off and get rough after i let off throttle. Then it smooths out, but truck also smokes(bluish smoke) a lot more now than before. Would not start last winter even plugged in. Now has new glow-plugs, glow-plug relay, glow-plug wire harnesses, valve cover gaskets, 2 new batteries, trans flush, and fuel system flush. All done at local Ford dealer (in Feb. 2008) who claims the injectors tested good. Bought this truck from a friend who is a diesel mechanic by trade. He says it should start without being plugged in. He started it with a remote starter, but plugged in, when he owned it. Obviously, this is anew issue? I am wondering if i am wrong for trusting him about this truck. Sorry for ramble. Any help is greatly appreciated.

95 F-250 4X4 Reg. Cab
7.3 'Stroke, 208k on truck
104k on '95 E-350 motor
3" downpipe from dieselsite.com
shift kit in tranny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

after it warms up it runs good? how long does it take to start? as soon as it starts you have to manually keep it running?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cold Start Issues

It runs like new after a few minutes. It takes a couple cranks to start, same as when temps are warmer outside. Since temp drops it won't catch on its own. Almost seems like it doesn't get fuel on its own, but it's fine above 30s temps. It always idles choppy for the first few seconds of idle everytime, but it did that with the original motor as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:06 PM

oh it has a new engine.how many miles on it?so it takes a couple cranks even when its warm?when its cranking is it smoking at all? if so ,what color is it? so let ,e get this straight,for the first start everyday,it takes two cranks to get it running,then you have to manually keep it running for a couple mins until it will idle itself? or is this after every start anytime,mainly im interested in when you have to keep it running,also if its smoking.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cold Start Issues

Used motor from E-350 hotel shuttle bus. approx. 104,000 on motor. when motor is warm, or temp is 40 degrees or warmer truck starts right up and idles on its own. temp 30s or colder, it cranks and starts normally, but chokes and dies if i don't manually give it fuel. warmer motor or warmer outside temp takes 1-2 cranks to start. colder takes 3-4 cranks. don't know if it smokes when cranking but it does after it starts (bluish in color). and it seems to do it more now than when i bought the truck. i have owned it since august 2007. temp right now is 28-30 degrees. if i go out right now i would have to manually give throttle to keep it running. truck has been sitting for a week (bad u-joints), but i had same problem last week with 2 days between starts, but same cold temps.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 PM

I would most likely say you have a few glow plugs not running correctly. When the cylinders don't heat up by the G/P it has to create it's own heat which is why it runs good after manually keeping the throttle up. You can get the G/P's tested at any Diesel shop.
Hope it helps
Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 AM

check the valve cover gaskets, the connections can burn up and cause problems.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cold Start Issues

Thanks for the input. the glow plugs were bought on ebay, supposedly new, and were sealed. no clue how old they were. that is a possibility. the valve cover gaskets were also supposed to be new, replaced by the dealership. but i dont trust them and i will check when i get off work. any way to check the valve cover gaskets for being burned up? any possibility of being the fuel pump? i forgot to mention that the fuel filter was supposedly replaced in Feb '08 along with other repairs. i just don't have any confidence in the dealers work. i could have done everything but the fuel and trans flushese myself. didnt know how easy the repairs were until after they were done.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:47 PM

The connections are where the wiring harness plugs into the valve covers for the injectors and glow plugs. The glow plugs draw quite a bit of current, so if the connection is not perfect, the connecter gets hot and melts. I found this on mine last time I did glow plugs. Engine ran fine just that glow plug was not doing anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.