7.3 randomly dies need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 randomly dies need help

Hello, new to the forum. I am writing a post for my father who is out visiting and his truck is giving him hell.

1997 7.3 turbo (not California)

The problem: The truck was running great then randomly died. My father thought that he might have ran out of fuel while driving because the tank was really low and he was about to swap out tanks. I don't know if it ran out or not. Now the truck will start sometimes, but dies randomly. We went through all the forums here first trying just about every fix listed. First we replaced the filter, no luck. Then we replaced the CPS and the truck seemed to run great even under moderate to heavy acceleration. Then when they left this morning it died again after about 50 miles and would not start. Then we replaced the lift pump and it again fired right up. As soon as he tried to accelerate the truck died and would not start. The ford mechanic suggested the ICP sensor so we replaced that and the exhaust backflow sensor at the same time. Still will not start.

What we have replaced:

Fuel Filter
CPS
Lift Pump
ICP sensor
exhaust back pressure sensor

We have verified fuel pressure to the filter bowl, but don't know how to verify discharge pressure from the high pressure injector pump. The fuel in the tank is good and both tanks are full and we verified operation of the tank switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also just to note, I had my reader hooked up one of the times that it died and no codes were given. There are no codes in history either.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We went back out to the truck this morning and it started right up and drove 50 miles to the ford dealership without any problems. It was running a little rough, but all in all made it there with no problems. They can not find any problems as of yet. We are going to try the valve cover gaskets and injector wiring harnesses next, but they have been replaced once on the truck a few years ago.

Does anyone have a source for the injector harness that is inside the valve cover? We are going to pull them out and clean them up, but if there are some bad ones I think they are a little pricey at ford.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd suspect UVCH. Buddy's truck had similar issues no codes. Would start running rough and sometimes shut off. UVCH were shorting out and causing the problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.