Dies on highway - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dies on highway

I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. But once the truck gets on the highway it dies and doesn't start back up. When it does it feels like it is running out of fuel. While I was on the side of the road waiting for the wrecker, I drained the fuel bowl and cranked it over a few times to see if it would fill. However it did not. After sitting a day my mechanic told me he filled the fuel bowl and it fired up. So what should be my next step? Should I drop the tank and replace the lifter assembly? Or take it out and clean the filter, because it defiantly feels like a fuel issue because other then that it runs great around town. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure what you mean by "lifter assembly". The strainer/screen? Have you tried both tanks?

If the bowl isn't filling when you crank it, I'd say something went wrong with the fuel pump replacement. Could be a DOA pump.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the strainer/ screen. I only have the one front tank. It is running again. It was the second time it died like that on the highway.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took it for a ride around town today. When I first started driving it shook violently and started loosing power quickly, so I put my foot into it and it downshifted and went away. It wasn't up to normal operating temp. But after that it drove fine. Any ideas? On Sunday I'm going to drop the tank and take a look at the screen in the tank, also while I have it in a warm garage I'm going to replace the cps sensor.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:25 PM

why not a lift pump?. $64 on some web i seen when on google
Old 03-15-2014, 11:46 AM

Hmm, better when it's warmed up? Do you hear a "whhhssshh" sound when it's acting weak? That's your EBPV - exhaust back pressure valve.

Time like these are the times that it's good to have both tanks working (just sayin'....).
Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The ebpv has been disconnected it did work. Still having the issue keeps dieing only on the highway I just replaced the cps and took it on the highway and started doing the same thing after abt 10 min on the highway. This time it didnt die all the way just lost all power. Checked fuel bowl and it was full fired back up and ran very rough then smoothed.out. Definitely need some more suggestions. I didnt think there was a pump in the tank just the one on the frame rail which I.looked on rockauto but.didnt find it.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:45 PM

Go back and check fuel lines. Something may be loose causing the system to suck air.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya I think that might be the issue because when running the fuel bowl is filling with air bubbles. Also the rear tank was removed and while I.was under there looks like they just put two screws in the end of the lines for the rear tank. Im thinking the fuel bowl isnt filling fast enough to keep up ln the highway. I checked most of the lines and didnt find any leaks still all stainless could it be drawing air from the drain valve on the fuel bowl?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 PM

There's no pump in the tanks or on the frame rail. THE fuel pump is in the engine valley, driven by a 17th lobe on the camshaft. Air bubbles suggests a split line somewhere, or possibly what you were thinking about the strainer / shower-head in the tank. Esp. if the fuel level is low. The lines right after the quick-releases at the fuel tank are flexible; check for leaks there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.