Replaced Clutch, Now Power drop while driving and hard cold starts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replaced Clutch, Now Power drop while driving and hard cold starts

My clutch went out so a knowledgeable buddy of mine helped me replace it.

The flywheel was tore up too, so replaced the whole clutch set and flywheel. It was a dual mass, the new one is not.

Everything seemed to run great the first night. The next morning, I had the "Wait to Start" light come on while driving and no acceleration, I let off gas and press again and it goes away. It happens so fast, it is hard to tell if there are any other things going on. A few times, it happens a couple times in a row. There have been a couple trips that it has not happened at all, or just once.

It happens in any gear.

Also, it seems to be harder to start cold. It used to start right up. I know have to turn glow plugs on, and off a couple times before trying to crank, and I feel like I have to press accelerator to make sure it stays started.

'94 f350 7.3 powerstroke turbo dually, 5-speed manual

Thanks for any help

Last edited by musikagod; 02-20-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: add tags
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE:

I changed the Camshaft Position Sensor because I found other people who had similar issues. I thought it worked last night, it started right up, and I picked up a pizza with no issues. Then this morning, hard to start, and it started happening right as I hit the street.

Also, I did notice that when it happened, if I kept my foot on the gas it would not reset itself, but as soon as I let off, it would go away, and I could drive again.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Another Update

After letting truck sit for a couple hours while I posted on here and looked for answers, I started her up, and she started right up. I drove to the part store, and hooked a computer up to it. (No issues on the way)

Codes:

DTC 116

DTC 50

DTC 845

The guy helping me insisted on helping, and then got busy, so he ran off right after getting the codes.

116 is a engine temp. It is possible that it was not warm enough yet.

But that raises the question of how long it should take to warm up.

The other 2 codes, I can't find anywhere. Any ideas? I wanted to be a dick and tell the guy I was there first and he should help me, but I just left. I didn't know they are they only shop that has the old style code scanner.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Worse than ever

For the past couple days the truck has ran fine. The first start is hard, but once it warms up, I shut off the engine and start it back up, and drive without issue.

Also, at night I have plugged it in, and it starts right up in the morning, and runs fine. Then after 8 hours of sitting while at work, it is hard to start, but I make sure to let it warm up, then shut it down and starts right up, and no issues.

Today, while it was warming up after work, it shut off. Is started right back up, and I let it warm up more. Then As soon as I went to pull forward, the ol' Wait to Start nonsense started again.

I barely went anywhere and it kept doing it. I would barely go 10 feet and again. I tried to drive home anyway, and I would have spurts that it was fine, and then it would do it again. It only did it a few times on freeway, and when I got off on state route, I ended up traveling on the side of the road because it was hard to maintain the speed limit as it was constantly cutting out.

I didn't want to call AAA again when I was so close to home, so I took it all the way home like this, a couple more miles. I had one more turn, and a curve totaling maybe 1.5 miles and it was fine that distance to the house.

I am not getting any feedback on this issue, any help would be appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
camshaft position sensor, clutch, no power, wait to start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.