starts up then rough idle w/ CEL on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
starts up then rough idle w/ CEL on

I've had the truck for almost 2 years with no problems. 95 powerstroke auto 4x4 all stock except for a cold air kit. Put it up for sale 1 month ago and then glow plug relay died 2 weeks ago. Replace it ran fine. Today took it to get it undercoated and when i started it up at the garage it fired up fine then started loping big time with check engine on. Stayed like this for about 1 minute or so. It would die out if you don't keep your foot on the pedal. Then like you flipped on a light switch the check engine goes out and it goes into its normal purr. When its running bad it has no power. Got it home and seemed ok. Went back a few hours after and started it up and same thing. Ran bad for about 1 1/2 min with check engine on. Then goes out and runs fine. Drove about 2 miles to get diesel shut it off same thing when i went started it yet it only lasted 15 seconds. Got it home shut it off and started it and it ran fine. Seems worse the colder it is. If it was the cam sensor the tach would go nuts and not move during cranking right?

I'm thinking that it was a coincidence after having it under coated, but ??

I have a code reader that says its good from fords 81-95 diesel included. The plug under the dash does not look like the same fitting, but i'll go try.
Will it store the code in memory after the light goes out? really don't want to buy a scanner as I'm trying to sell the truck.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 07:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You need a code reader that is ODB II compliant. Or one that can read codes for a 96 or newer. Not all ODB II readers will give all codes for our trucks. When my CEL came on I had to go to a shop that had a Snap On code reader. The scanner that they had at Advance Auto and Auto Zone would not pull any codes. I found out later that my neighbors Superchips programer worked as a code reader for my truck, even though it was VIN locked for my truck.
If you have a CEL then you do have codes in there, even if the CEL goes out, it should store the code in memory. Good Luck

Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.