When to change a Fuel Pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When to change a Fuel Pump

So I have a question, how do you guys known when to change your fuel pump. Outside of the obvious "it broke", what kind of miles have you guys put on them. I have 249k on my original pump and I do have a small fuel leak that I am going to tackle this weekend. The question, do I also change the pump just to make certain I don't have to do this anytime soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc1 View Post
So I have a question, how do you guys known when to change your fuel pump. Outside of the obvious "it broke", what kind of miles have you guys put on them. I have 249k on my original pump and I do have a small fuel leak that I am going to tackle this weekend. The question, do I also change the pump just to make certain I don't have to do this anytime soon?
Check the fuel pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel bowl. You can use a pencil type of air gauge for that. Optimum pressure is between 55 and 65. I think 65 is factory set. The gauge will piss out fuel so make sure you got glasses on.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply, I know how to test it. What I am wondering is how long on average these pumps last. I could test it today and have it be good, then it could break tomorrow. Since I have to fix a couple of leaks and I am going to tear off the filter housing, replace the lines, and the banjo fitting washers. I was considering a new pump as well but don't want to spend $115 if I don't have to. But maybe 250k is enough miles that I shouldn't even consider leaving it in place.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM

If I was going to go through all the trouble of pulling the fuel bowl and messing with the banjo bolt I would bite the bullet and change the pump too, as well as all the o-rings in the fuel bowl.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did already buy the O-rings for the filter bowl as well as a new drain valve just in case. Since I am not 100% certain of the source of my leak, I figured cover all bases.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM

Your fuel leak could be from the pump's weep hole on the bottom near the base, so take a look. I'm of the "if it ain't broke ... " camp. I've had pumps last a long time (190k and stll going) and not last at all (less than 25k), and somewhere in between. I've had the low side fail (usually leaks) and high side fail (no leak but, no fuel). Cheers!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:06 PM

Smart thinking. Good luck, if you pull the pump there are quite a few write ups that should help, breaking off the shaft and displacing the valley o-ring come to mind as potential drawbacks. I know some put a gob of vaseline or something on the valley o-ring to keep it in place when jiggling the new pump in.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A write up would be awesome!!

My truck has a fuel leak as we'll and looking at changing pump while there!

My deal is I haven't really checked fuel bowl drain orings.

I cleaned all the diesel from valley and going to check tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.