vibration accelerating down highway - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
vibration accelerating down highway

hello.
i can't seem to find a similar thread, so...
i have a 1995 f250 7.3L p/s with an automatic e4OD. it runs okay but does have a pretty heavy diesel leak from what i figure is the fuel pump - maybe the bowl and related lines...but... here lately, after going about 8 miles down the highway, it has started to vibrate pretty heavily when i accelerate past 60mph. i let off the accelerator and it stops vibrating. it is sort of like i'm going down a very rough gravel road. it has about 300k miles on it. does anybody know if this may be due to the diesel leak getting so bad it's sucking in air or any other ideas?
it's not smoking... it's sorta (but not exactly) feels and acts like the crankshaft position sensor is going out.
after i stop and park for 30m to an hour, it goes away until i go back down the highway for another 8 miles and bla bla...
it doesn't do it at speeds under 50mph - in town speeds - just highway speeds.
-thanks for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a bad ujoint to me or possibly pinion bearings from what you're describing

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanx... i checked the u joints and they look ok. today i was going down the road and same thing happened but it slowed down and wouldn't go over about 40mph even while pressing down on the accelerator
Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i'll add a little more. thanks for the reply. but, i'm almost positive that it is a motor problem. maybe a sensor or something. i know it's not a problem with a bearing or u-joints because even stopping at a stoplight after this starts, the motor is very rough running. also, as i drive down the highway, it will start to vibrate/shimmy at the motor and as it is doing so, i can floor the accelerator pedal and it will increase the vibration and slow down. when i sometimes barely get to where i'm going, it seems to cure itself for a moment except a couple days ago after sitting for a couple hours, it started very rough and smoothed out after a couple cranks and minutes....then 5 miles down the road it started vibrated again.
it is almost as it is not firing on all sensors and i think it might be fuel starved. i'm not a master mechanic, but i do tinker and this is not anything like i've ever experienced. i have an extra CPS and i suppose i could eliminate that, but it's not really acting like it has before when it needed a CPS, it keeps running and just vibrates a lot.
-thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.