94 f350 Starting issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 f350 Starting issues

Ok, I have spent some time trying to find an answer without posting.

But there are several factors to all this.

Yesterday afternoon, I heard a noise that sounded like something was rattling in a fan. I was very worried, but thought maybe something got in my air intake. By the time I got home, the noise was gone, and nothing seemed to effect performance.

That night, I did an over due oil/filter change.

This morning, the truck started right up, even though it was a cold Ohio winter morning, and I did not plug her in. I let the truck warm up, and when I went out I found diesel leaking out of the fuel filter, which has been happening several times since I changed the filter a month ago. It slightly backs out, and and I give it a quarter turn or less and it is fine for a while.

Since I didn't want to be late for work or waste more fuel, I shut the truck off and took my gas suburban to work.

I left the key in the ignition of the diesel. I am pretty sure I turned it all the way off, but there is that possibility that I did not back it all the way out. (I live on a farm, so yes, it might not be smart, but leaving keys in cars does happen.)

When I came home this afternoon. I first take a screw driver and use it to tighten the fuel filter, and like before, it gave a little turn tighter.

Then I go to start the truck, and it sounds like the battery is dying. I end up trying until all I get is one click. I tried to jump it. One time it did give a slight sound that it was trying with a low charge, but would not again no matter how long I waited for it to charge.

When I turn to start, and wait to start, I see the battery gauge drop drastically.

Battery gets 12.2, even in start position. What looks like maybe the solenoid or glow plug relay next to the fuel filter housing gets 12.2, but at some point it looked like there was smoke while in start position.

Also, it is a 5 speed manual trans. I am not the best mechanic in the world, but can usually figure things out.

I haven't had any help to see voltage drop during crank. 20 degree whether with windchill, and the beast is too big for me to push it into the garage.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

If you're getting white smoke that means you're firing but as cold as it is take that same screw driver and jump both large wires together on your glow plug relay for about 30 seconds then go hit the key and see what happens

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for response. I will try that. But im not getting any crank. The smoke was just a little bit off the glow plug relay when in start position.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the GP relay was smoking at all, something's wrong. If it was smoking with the key in START, but not in RUN, something more is wrong. GP relay shouldn't be dependent on the START position.

When you say "not getting any crank", do you mean the starter is no longer turning the engine? If the batteries are discharged, you need to charge them externally first, then LOAD test BOTH of them, in isolation from one another. There's no point in testing the relay or anything else before you get the batteries charged.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I meant the ON position. When you are "Waiting to Start". I saw what looks like a slight smoke. There is also possibility that diesel leaked in that area when it came out of the fuel filter.

Batteries do have a full charge.

Update:

When had someone try to start the truck, the voltage still stayed above 11v.

I tried to jump the solenoid mounted on the passenger side and got spark, but still just one click.

I am still suspicious that I am not getting any diesel into the fuel filter since last time I drained it and tried to reseat it.

There is no crank at all. I am going to go back out in cold and try to meter the starter while someone tries to start it. But from what I can tell, doesn't seem like the starter does anything at all.

I am thinking correct that if the starter is not spinning I have not made it to fuel issues yet.

My suspects are still starter, solenoid, ignition switch, clutch relay.... right?

Going back out now. Not enjoying laying on cold diesel soaked blacktop, but what can ya do?
Old 01-19-2014, 01:51 PM

Don't worry about the fuel until you get it cranking. When you jumped the starter relay, did you jump the two big terminals? If so, and it still didn't crank, then you're looking at either a bad starter, bad main wire to the starter from the batteries, bad battery grounds, weak batteries or a locked up engine. Have you tried turning the engine by hand?

Get some cardboard to lie on. We only have a gravel driveway to work on, and go thru several big cardboard boxes every year.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, I guess I should have not been so stubborn. I can't hand crank it. Sometimes I can get it to move a little, and then I tried to turn key and it started to crank.

I read that it could be a bad starter stuck in flywheel, and my buddy just told me the same thing.

I think I will pull it out and bench test it.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 PM

If you have a buddy with a big enough truck, you could try pulling/pushing it and popping the clutch, to see if at least the engine moves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diesel, ford, glow plug, solenoid, starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.