Can diesel gel up after up to temp or did my fuel pump crap out? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 06:07 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Can diesel gel up after up to temp or did my fuel pump crap out?

Well after 2 hours of p--sing with my truck to get it started yesterday in -15 i let it warm up before i started driving and it was pretty close to operating temp and then all of a sudden it started shaking almost like i had a loose tire or unbalanced drive shaft.

I pulled over into a parking lot and it was running like crap and checked my fuel pressure, it was down to like 20 psi so i shut it down and got a ride back to my place. What could have caused this?

Keep in mind i have e-fuel with fuel bowl delete so i have a super duty fuel pump and an aftermarket FPR. When i turn the key on the FP goes up to about 65 but slowly bleeds off and the pump sounds pretty bad like its pushing slush which is what made me think of gelling but it had been running for a good 30 mins and the temps were almost into the "normal" section of the coolant gauge.

I woulda imagined by then the fuel in the fuel tank had been sufficiently warmed up or could it still gel up even after that long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 06:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you answerd your own question...gelled. I'd wait for it to warm up and see, dont put the cart before the horse (i've dont what a few times) thinking you have something else wrong before you rule that out
Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannanw View Post
you answerd your own question...gelled. I'd wait for it to warm up and see, dont put the cart before the horse (i've dont what a few times) thinking you have something else wrong before you rule that out
No i didnt, i asked if it was possible to gel after the engine was damn near up to temp. I just said the fuel pump SOUNDS like its pushing slush but it could just be what it sounds like when it craps out because ive never heard one crap out.

I was just trying to rule out possibility of gelling up to temp short of tearing my whole fuel system apart in the freezing f-ing cold before i started troubleshooting other causes
Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 AM

yes, even after getting up to temp it can pump gelled/waxed fuel from the tank that wasn't warm...like running water through a frozen pipe/hose ice chunks still are there and can block up the passage. happened to dad's case skid steer this last weekend I had to tow him home at like .5 mph
Old 01-07-2014, 06:42 AM

ULSD Cold Weather Information
just wanted to share this link, I found it two weeks ago while trying to figure out gelling on our backhoe and my truck and dads 7.3
Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
yes, even after getting up to temp it can pump gelled/waxed fuel from the tank that wasn't warm...like running water through a frozen pipe/hose ice chunks still are there and can block up the passage. happened to dad's case skid steer this last weekend I had to tow him home at like .5 mph
Well the OBS is set up as regulated return so the fuel actually gets heated up and sent back to the tank so thats why i just found it hard to believe it gelled up after running for a good half hour but it being -15 i suppose weirder things could happen

Quote:
ULSD Cold Weather Information
just wanted to share this link, I found it two weeks ago while trying to figure out gelling on our backhoe and my truck and dads 7.3
Thats a good link, sure makes you miss the old HSD and LSD
Old 01-09-2014, 07:54 AM

That info is over six years old. It would be useful to see an update of the characteristics of ULSD now that it's been out in the wild this many years. I don't think we've seen quite the gloom and doom and mayhem that the article seemed to forecast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.