Caliper pins stuck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Caliper pins stuck?

My truck pulls to the right, have to keep steering wheel at about 11 o clock to go straight.

Stopped by local shop today to see if he does alignments, he was a ford tech for a long time and left the dealership cause they suck.

anyhow, he came out and crawled all under my truck and under the hood and said he thought the caliper pins were prolly stuck on the front right and that was causing my pulling.

anyhow, im gonna check that tomorrow, was wondering if anyone else has had that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea, just about all the pins that Ive delt with have been froze. Take your brake calliper off an youll be able to tell. If you can free them up it will save you money, but if not I know you get those mounts with new calipers at Carquest. but im not sure if you can get just the mounts from them.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:50 PM

Just fixed that on mine. I used an air chisel to break it loose. Lubed it up and installed new caliper pins.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Emergency Services

hmmmmmmm, rusted that bad huh. were the calipers rubbing and making the truck pull?

what about anti seize on the threads also? or did you lube threads and all?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 AM

It pulled really bad! I pull a 17K lb trailer everywhere, and coming down the mountain that day was....interesting. I used Sil-Glyde from Napa on the new pins. It's like anti sieze but made just for brake parts. I did not put any on the threads. I could have used the old caliper pins, but new ones dont cost much and are cheap insurance, and brakes are not something I want to cut corners on. Go figure.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Emergency Services

hmmm. I hope its the pins stuck and not alignment....cheaper hehe. I pulled my hub caps and the lugs and studs are rusty......not like there is any structural cimnpromise, just like the truck spent a lil while near the coast. I'll see what else she needs when I get in there in a lil bit

[EDIT]
Good news:
lugs came off fine and werent WAYYYYY over torqued like I was expecting, wheel WAS dragging on pads when I spun 'er while on jack. caliper pins were NOT that hard to get off & pads look great.

Bad News:
HOLY RUSTY PISTONS BATMAN!!!!!!
and seals are shot it seems also. Rebuild kit & new pistons will be almost as much as a whole new caliper and more work so thats a no brainer.
[/edit]
Attached Thumbnails
Caliper pins stuck?-1.jpg   Caliper pins stuck?-2.jpg  

Last edited by metallitera; 09-10-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Emergency Services

oh, and whats the difference between the caliper with the "OE PHENOLIC PISTON" and "METAL PISTON" besides $10?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:21 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
If you have torches remove the caliper mount. Heat up the area where the pin is at. Then using vice grips clamp onto the pin then start twisting and pulling them out.

Be advised you will have to heat the area up pretty hot like cherry red hot. But this is the only way I have been successful with freeing the pins.

Once they are free replace with new ones. Lubricate the pins and reassemble the brakes.

Then if you want too while the caliper mount is off. You can drill and tap and insert grease zerks into the caliper mounts. You want the grease zerks where the slide pins are. This will allow you to lubricate the pins when you do your tire rotations.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallitera View Post
oh, and whats the difference between the caliper with the "OE PHENOLIC PISTON" and "METAL PISTON" besides $10?
Heat transfer, you want the phenolic.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Emergency Services

Well I replaced all 4 ball joints, bearings, races, seals and had 'er aligned. Guy said toe was off but didnt say how much. It still pulls to the right but not as bad.

While removing my spindles i noticed a thrown wheel weight wedged between the spindle and rotor, and this is what dug the ridges in the backside of the rotor. Im prolly gonna turn it, I just dont want to pull everything apart again and clean & re-lube. The calipers aren't stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.