1997 PSD no fuel pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 1997 PSD no fuel pressure

1997 PSD shutdown and will not restart. No fuel pressure at test port. filter bowl is empty and will not refill. With both rubber hoses disconnected at the two steel lines that run up to engine, there is no fuel flow with KOEO or while cranking. Question is, is there an electric pump in each tank or elsewhere? I've read a few threads and seems like there is. Truck has dual tanks and no fuel flow in either tank switch position. Don't want to change mechanical pump if not necessary. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM

Sounds like lift pump, to me.

'97 PSD have a cam shaft operated lift pump on top of engine, between turbo and fuel filter bowl, no pump in tanks. It pulls fuel from tanks. This pump is easy to change, no matter what the manuals say, you don't have to remove turbo. Just remove turbo inlet chamber, loosen filter mounting bolts, hardest part is disconnecting hose clamps, fuel lines, I had to gently pry under pump bolt flange. I also removed fuel filter, flush bottom of bowl and clean with compressed air then install new filter. Also check return port on right side of bowl, there is a screen that could be partially plugged. Remove mounting screws and gentely pull out of bowl, do not drop o-ring or screen in valley of engine.

I had a loss of power when trying to drive my truck, lift pump fixed my problem. Pump could not supply enough fuel when accelerating.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile

Thank you for the reply, Since my post I have replaced the lift pump and small hoses with it. After a little bit of cranking the engine started and seems back to normal. Job was simple, did not remove turbo.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds similar to what's happening with my 97 (see the thread I started earlier today). I'm new to Diesels. does anyone have pics or a good manual to get to help me with this learning curve. I've had the truck three weeks, and it's conked out on me as many times. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.