'94 Powerstroke Newbie Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'94 Powerstroke Newbie Questions

Hey all my first post! I just got a '94 F-250 a couple of days ago. I was trying to find a Chevy 6.2 powered truck originally, but this one came up, and the price was around what I was looking to spend on a truck. (Paid $800) My Dad has a '93 F-250 with the non-turbo engine, and that thing is THE BEAST!!! I was thinking the powerstroke would be about the same or better, but so far I'm not very impressed...

To start, the engine has 376,000 miles on it...I know, I'm crazy to have bought the thing. But it seems to run pretty decent, no white or blue smoke at all, starts right up, though it idles kinda of rough...once you rev it up, it seems to run fine. When I bought it, the brakes were locked up (long story there) so I couldn't take it for a test drive. I got it fixed, and now when I went to take it for a drive, it seems to have no power.

So questions...

With the turbo, when I go to rev it up, I don't hear it, when I was driving down the road, with it about floored, I still couldn't hear it. I took the air intake off the turbo, and there is oily residue inside the intake tube. The fins, from my limited experience, look okay on the intake side of the turbo, and it spins freely...I'm kind of thinking that might be my problem with no power, any thoughts on that?

The water pump was also leaking pretty bad on it, so I tore it apart and got the pump out...now that I go to look for a new one I find out the one I need is around $200!! (For the 1994-1995 years) The water pump for the 97-03 7.3 is only about $90, and they look pretty much the same as the one I need...does anyone know what the difference is between them?

Thanks so much for your time in reading this!

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Conservative and Proud

WELCOME AND CONGRATS!!!

Can't help ya with your questions, sorry, but someone will be along shortly that can.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:58 AM
cj41foleyisathief

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
from :tex The 96-03 pump will work but you need the lower neck and the top bypas hose inlet. If the lower neck dose not come with the pump it's $10-20 and the bypass barb you can get at any hydraulic shop. Get a New T-stat for a 96-03.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the welcome guys!!!

Awesome RC51, thats exactally the info I was looking for! I'll have to get one of those water pumps ordered so I can get it back together...nothing like making progress, now to just figure out how to get that beast to make some more power and we should be cool.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Can you do a compression check on the cylinders? Oil in the intake tube is not abnormal, it's part CCV system. Does the turbo have any nicks or heavy scratches on the fins? Try changing the fuel filter, the oil, and the oil filter to rule those out. These PSD's use high pressure oil to fire the injectors, and if the oil is running out of additives, your injectors won't work properly.

For $800 and 376K miles, expect to have to put some money in to it.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blowinsmoke4life
welcome to the site I cant help you on that but i kno a lil bout the IDI's so if ever got questions bout that jus pm
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 AM
cj41foleyisathief

Is your truck 94 IDI or 94 turbo or 94 DI [powerstroke]?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blowinsmoke4life
If i remember right the 94 is a 7.3l idi with a factory turbo
Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM
cj41foleyisathief

Ford had a IDI a Turbo and a Powerstroke [DI] in 94.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine's a Powerstroke...(DI and turbo) that is quite interesting that in '94 you had the option of 3 engines!

Thanks for the offer to help out on an IDI, blowinsmoke4life! I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Can you do a compression check on the cylinders? Oil in the intake tube is not abnormal, it's part CCV system. Does the turbo have any nicks or heavy scratches on the fins? Try changing the fuel filter, the oil, and the oil filter to rule those out. These PSD's use high pressure oil to fire the injectors, and if the oil is running out of additives, your injectors won't work properly.
Re. Compression check, I probabley could do that, I don't have a compression gage at the moment though, but spending money can change that.

On the turbo fins (intake side), at the very outside edges of them, there appears to be some nicks...

That sounds interesting that the oil might be affecting the operation of the injectors...it has in fact been awhile since its been changed...according to the sticker inside the cab-it was due at 367,000 for a oil change!

More questions.

Would the EBP sensor cause my problems of no power? I took it off today, and the line and the sensor were totally plugged with carbon...

Also, when I was taking the line off for the EBP sensor, the line twisted apart, and when I was taking the remains of the line off, it dropped down below the injector pump. (Believe its called the HPOP?) Anyway, there is this like threaded stud thats sticking out and there's some kind of electrical thingy that slides over it, and has a plug running to it. Right behind it, it looks like it needs a nut as its threaded, and if you pull on the electrical thingy, it just goes to pull off the stud...anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks again for all the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.