Brake Warning Light with occasional hard pedal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stroken'n'smoken
Brake Warning Light with occasional hard pedal

OOOOK.... so now that i got my icp reg. problem all fixed and shes back to normal, i noticed while backing out of a spot i hit my brakes then i continued and hit them again and the pedal was HARRRDDD and the red (!)(P) light is on and i almost gave someone a new grille. So i checked the fluid etc. and its right up where it should be. A few weeks have gone by and ive been busy with school so havent had time to get into it and now its at the point where the light is always on and if i start to go and im just rolling or at low speeds (10-15) if i hit the pedal more than once it gets hard and barely stops. I noticed that when driving at highway speeds with higher boost the light goes out til i hit the brakes and the light comes on and with more than 1 pump of the pedal the pedal gets hard.

I have been reading up and down and im convinced its either a vac. pump or the brake booster. I unplugged the line from the front of the brake booster (with that goofy looking round thing on the end of the hose that plugs into the booster), ive never messed with vacuum and im kinda new so i didnt know exactly what i was looking for since the truck was off (now that i think i should have started to see if it was sucking but that was then and this is now, ill save my neighbors the headache and wait til the morning) but either way i blew into it really hard and it made a cool wooshwoooshwoosh sound....didnt help. anyone have any tips that could help here, they would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Dick Heff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

A red brake light will turn on for one of three reasons, 1 is low fluid, 2 is pressure difference, or loss of pressure in a circuit, 3 is parking brake applied. Is the pedal normal height?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

I just remembered on these trucks the brake light will also light if you get less than 15 inches of vaccum, so get a gauge on it and you should be well above 20 inches if its working properly, your gonne need a pump
Old 08-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to stroken'n'smoken
the pedal is at norm. height, the fluid level is norm... ill try to find a vac. gauge somewhere and check it. also do you know how to tell if the brake booster is bad?
thanks for your help.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's most likely the vac. pump. When they are just going bad, and not totally gone, they won't rebuild pressure fast enough after hitting the brakes once.

If it was the booster, you'd have problems with the pedal everytime you hit it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.