RANT: WHADDYA MEAN, I CAN'T JACK UP MY TRUCK?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RANT: WHADDYA MEAN, I CAN'T JACK UP MY TRUCK?!

Grr, I'm in such a rage I can barely type! WTF?!

All I wanted to do was rotate the tires. That's all, pretty simple job, right? WRONG!

So I get out the concrete block to chock the front tire, and the floor jack for the back. Got the 5-ton jackstands, I'm all set. Wait, I remember reading something about where to jack on this thing. Reference the sticker on the front clip, it says to jack at the corners. Go online, nothing mentioned. Check the owner's man, and there it is: DO NOT JACK FROM THE DIFFERENTIALS. Well, $#!t, there goes my main jack point. Always did my Jeeps this way...

So I sidle the jack over to the side, and quickly realize there's not enough room to fit the jack AND a jackstand in the same space. The rear shock mounts preclude getting a good purchase on the axle tube further inboard, and there's no other place to put the jack.

Up in front, the only point that looks like it can take a jack is right where the springs are on the axles. The center parts of the front arms look like they'd just as soon collapse as support the truck anywhere other than at the springs, so no way I'm trying that. Well, maybe if I jacked it ON the spring, just behind the axle? I start pumping the jack up, get the body just a bit up, and ... ?! The jack won't go? Thinking it's an internal problem, I pulled it out and ran it up again, but it works just fine. Run it up against the truck, it gets only so far and stops. This is a Craftsman 2.5-ton jack, and it can't take it!

So, I get out the 4-ton bottle jack I bought to put under the hood in place of the missing stock jack. That worked just fine, and fit with plenty of room for the jack stand, but it doesn't go up high enough to fit a jackstand! Good enough for a roadside repair, but not if I want to do any work on the truck. A brick to put the jack on remedied the issue, and I did get ONE jackstand placed.

I went back up in front to try to jack it up with the bottle jack... I managed to get it up high enough by jacking from the lower ear of the inner knuckle, but the jackstand started digging into the driveway. Back down, pull the jackstand out, put down some ancient plywood, start jacking back up... the brick cracks right next to the jack, but I keep going. PSSS... what? The jack has maxed out, and with the additional height of the plywood, the jackstand won't fit!

Disgusted, I brought it all back down again and tightened all the lug nuts. For the first time in my life, I have to say, "I can't rotate the tires on my own vehicle." Unless I can find a hydraulic jack that a) doesn't take up space where the jackstand has to go, b) can lift over 20", and c) is beefy enough to lift this cast-iron sow of a truck, I have to take the frelling thing to a SHOP like a know-nothing schmuck to have my tires rotated! GOD, this burns me so bad! AAAHH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I have a 3 ton floor jack from craftsman. I jack up my 2002 F-250 just fine with it. For the emergency kit in my truck I have a 12 ton bottle jack behind the back seat.

For rotating the tires I take it to the shop. Let them pull off the tires check the ballance on them and correct the ballance if need be. Then do the rotation front to back, back to front. Usually have this done with every oil change.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Jon

Dang

I thought thats what the axles were for. Thats how I jack them up.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Emergency Services

I've been jacking these trucks up by the diff for years. There is not really a lot under there that can't take a jack under it. If you have a solid front axle, anywhere along the axle or leaf springs will work. If you have daul I-beams, again, anywhere along the I-beam is strong enough.

A 2.5 ton jack really ought to be enough, if you are only jacking one corner at a time. I use a 3 ton for the entire back end of the trucks I work on (by the diff). The same with the front.

eli benson
Old 08-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
yeah we have always used the diff and axle
Old 08-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I use the diff here. 3 ton jack. there would be no way I could have lifted my truck myself if I didn't jack some under the diff.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So, if you guys all jack from the diff and have experienced no ill effects, why does the owner's man specifically state not to? I don't know the ins and outs of the Sterling, it certainly looks beefy enough, but I didn't know if the force of the springs (and truck) pushing down on the ends while the jack pushes up in the middle would cause a problem... same thing in front. Frankly, the TTB assembly scares me, and I do plan to switch to a D60 from a 350 someday (moneymoneymoney...).

In the meantime, guess I'll try diff-jacking, and hope for the best. Seeing as how none of you guys has had a problem with it, I can only pray mine's the same!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a tire shop and that's how we do it every day.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to SteveKran Send a message via Yahoo to SteveKran
I've got a 3 1/2 ton jack....jack that b!tch up anywhere you can. These trucks will take a beating! Don't be scared!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Banned

Diff jacker here,...thats how I did my lift, and how I rotate tires...never had an issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.