Idles great - no throttle response at all - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking SOLVED: Idles great - no throttle response at all

Hi... first post... but lurker for some time.

My 95 7.3 has finally stranded me... I was having fuel problems (horrible fuel) now a new issue has cropped up.

Truck: 95 7.3 crew 4x2 dually auto trans all stock... 145K miles... daily driver.

Last couple of days it has been not responding to the throttle until it gets a few minutes of warm-up time... Today, it will not respond to the throttle at all. It starts and idles like a champ... but the throttle does nothing. I know it is FBW... and I have read a bit about TPS... so here is my question...

Does this sound like a TPS? This is a part I am TOTALLY unfamiliar with... is it a repair part or replace part? Cost?

I also read about the CPS... could this be the cause?

Any insights would be SOOO greatly appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

PS: The CEL comes on only when you press the throttle... I am going now to try to pull the codes...

James

Last edited by barrycomo; 08-14-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Solution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sounds like the tps to me, my did this once to me, thank god it was just that the plug behind the pedal came unplugged, im sure you made sure to check that, but if you havent check it out. there is a plug in behind the pedal somewhere that may be unplugged.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The CPS will cause it not to start but not a lack of throttle reponse. I would check for the throttle pedal switch .
Old 08-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys...

I had it towed to my local PS mechanic (great guy and works mainly on PS) since I was unsure of what the problem is... I was unable to pull codes using my OBDII reader... So... if we can test and get a new TPS tomorrow, life may be fine again.

I do almost all my wrenching (farm kid)... but I had a weird problem a while back where 1/2 the engine stopped firing and I couldn't seem to pin point the problem... when I called my mech and he said it was a valve cover gasket... I almost laughed... he hadn't seen it and within 10 seconds knew what the problem was??? I thought he was wacco... Of course, you know he was correct! That was the day I knew I could count on him to fix my PS when I am stumped.

It sucks when your daily driver is out of commission... Will have to revert to two wheels (Honda ST1300) for the day. Oh, well... not that bad... as long as the parts are available!

Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrycomo View Post
Thanks guys...

I had it towed to my local PS mechanic (great guy and works mainly on PS) since I was unsure of what the problem is... I was unable to pull codes using my OBDII reader... So... if we can test and get a new TPS tomorrow, life may be fine again.

I do almost all my wrenching (farm kid)... but I had a weird problem a while back where 1/2 the engine stopped firing and I couldn't seem to pin point the problem... when I called my mech and he said it was a valve cover gasket... I almost laughed... he hadn't seen it and within 10 seconds knew what the problem was??? I thought he was wacco... Of course, you know he was correct! That was the day I knew I could count on him to fix my PS when I am stumped.

It sucks when your daily driver is out of commission... Will have to revert to two wheels (Honda ST1300) for the day. Oh, well... not that bad... as long as the parts are available!

Thanks again!
good luck with the fix man, keep us posted on what the mechanic finds.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK... got the results...

P0220 Throttle Switch B Circuit Malfunction

So my mech replaced the switch (the one below the TPS) with one from another salvage truck and it all works great.

Seems that to get this one switch I would have to buy the whole pedal assembly. <ARG>!

Back on the road again! A bit lighter wallet... but better than a new truck payment!!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Banned

Sounds like a great mechanic. The TPS is available without the whole pedal, around $49 instead of $300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.