IDM & PCM Failure? Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IDM & PCM Failure? Help!

Hi guys I am in need of help here. Truck started to turn over slowly on Wednesday randomly so I immediately thought batteries. Had the batteries tested and they are great. Next in line alternator or starter, alternator checks out as well.

Hooked up AE last night and got P0605 and P1298 codes. I have done some research and 0605 is obviously not good. My question is are these two separate computers or does one control the other? Truck runs great when I have the programmer in, remove it and it runs like crap rough idle, missing/stumbling on acceleration etc.

How can I test either of the two or would something else cause them both to fail? I thought maybe when I disconnected the batteries to test them that might have caused the codes but reset the DTC's and they came back immediately.

P0605 Internal Control Module ROM Error
P1298 Injector Driver Module Failure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 10:26 AM

The IDM and PCM are separate. The IDM is not a computer, though; it's really just a voltage booster, it turns injection "commands" from the PCM into high-voltage pulses to each injector. All the codes themselves are stored in the PCM.

Plug the programmer back in, do whatever you do with it to revert to stock programming, then remove it. Then get the codes from AE again. Cross your fingers that it'll come back P1111 then. Programmers, unlike chips, actually burn their tunes into the PCM, including re-burning the original programming when you select "stock". There's always the risk that it doesn't re-burn the PCM properly, which means it's reman or replacement time.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 AM

Thanks madpogue! When I get home I will scan it again with it set to stock and see what happens. Any idea why after 5 years the programmer decided to go nuts? I have not re-programmed the truck probably in 2 years. Secondly, should the CEL light be on if I have a PCM and/or IDM failure because its not?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:11 PM

Returned the truck to stock and scanned it again. The P0605 Internal Control Module ROM Error code actually went away but the IDM failure returned. Anyone have any recommendations on who to go with for an IDM? Called the local store and they want around $465. I am thinking I might as well go with a modded IDM from someone like swamps for the money?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:27 PM

IDMs are interchangeable, '94.5 - '03. Just scour Craigslist, the boneyard sites, eBay and the Classifieds sections here and on the other truck forums. I'm about to score one via craigslist for $50, just to have a spare.

Thing is, if the truck is running, the IDM should be good. Does it run okay now with the revert to stock and the programmer decommissioned?

Have you done a buzz test and cylinder contribution test with the AE?
Old 11-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
IDMs are interchangeable, '94.5 - '03. Just scour Craigslist, the boneyard sites, eBay and the Classifieds sections here and on the other truck forums. I'm about to score one via craigslist for $50, just to have a spare.

Thing is, if the truck is running, the IDM should be good. Does it run okay now with the revert to stock and the programmer decommissioned?

Have you done a buzz test and cylinder contribution test with the AE?
Yeah first thing I did was search craigslist but no luck in my area so far.

The truck seems to run fine without the programmer when in drive (smooth idle as well) however when I put it in park it seems to idle a little rough not bad but enough to notice it. I also noticed the torque converter seems to do a weird lock then unlock then lock again and finally drop into 3rd gear on heavier acceleration. What else could cause a false IDM failure?

Yes I ran a buzz test and cylinder contribution test yesterday as well for good measure and it passed both. Thanks for the help thus far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.