1997 Ford 7.3L very high EGT Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 Ford 7.3L very high EGT Question

My good buddy and a great guy has been worked over pretty much by two shops now. He called and came by last night looking for help.
1997 PSD, DI engine 7.3L. 4x4 quad cab F350 Automatic.
He was told by a Diesel shop that he needs a new engine that one cyl is down to 350 psi and the engine is going to break.
I know a little about these engines and this one sounds great. He did have a bad number 4 injector and that is the low cyl, 350 psi. I don't know what perfect compression is on the 7.3L.
This thing runs great, starts great I had him take me for a ride up a local long hill at 65 mph. It pulled very strong but the egt gauge went quickly up, almost as fast as he pushed his foot down. I also noted only 12 psi of boost at 2000 RPM under half throttle or less. Never saw more than 12 but I don't know how hard he pushed the pedal. Around town I never saw more than 6 lbs of boost in very easy driving. He is very concerned he will burn up his engine. He also reports that on a hunting trip crossing Nevada he could not run 70 MPH with his camper on top because the EGT kept pushing past the orange into the red. This is a full camper, maybe 3,000 pounds but a fair amount of wind block. Not much load for a good running 7.3L.
This truck has 165,000 miles.

I think the bad injector since replaced may have contributed by washing the cyl down before it was replaced and damaged piston rings.

The engine sounds too good and pulls so nice I suspect even if the cyl is down on compression that this engine is still at 90%+ capacity and may last another 100,000.
It burns no oil. Water temp is perfect and stays planted at the gauge center.

Can I ask if anyone knows the cause of rapid EGT heat. It jumps as soon as the throttle goes down and keeps climbing.

A new down pipe was just welded in prior to the high egt issues. He also said the shop modified his computer while it was in. Looking at the new down pipe is appears to be poorly installed, there is barely 1/16 of an inch clearance between the tranny, tranny coolant lines and the down pipe. It appears to me to be 3". Tranny temp has been running around 160 with an oversize cooler installed.

I know this is limited information but I really would like to assist. He is a young man with three young children to raise and extra money is hard to come by. So far he has spent close to $ 3,000. and the EGT still climbs quickly. I wonder if it is a bad EGT sensor. The EGT sensor was installed prior to the new down pipe and worked normally before. This guy does not turn his own wrenches so everything has been done in shops so far.

I do not note any unusual diesel clatter at idle so it sounds like the timing is very close if not stock.
On the hunting trip my buddy was sleeping and his 82 year old hunting partner was driving, my buddy awoke to a loud engine noise that really scared him. When he looked at the gauges the pyrometer was in the red and they were traveling 75mph. He was only asleep 15 minutes when the noise woke him. Once cooled down the engine started and ran normally. Could this have been the waste gate blowing off pressure, an exhaust leak opened by the heat?

The engine sounds and runs too good to have internal damage.
No sign of water leak so I think head gaskets are good. I am leaning towards false readings on the EGT but I hope to pick up some informed opinions here.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM

Does he have an intake? DIY with napa filter worked great for mine. Made a big differance in egt,s
Old 07-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What does he have done in the performance aspect of the truck? Intake, Exhaust (besides downpipe), Injectors, etc. What did he have the shop do to his computer? With a bit more information someone on here will probably figure it out.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What all is done to the truck aftermarket wise? What were the compression results for the rest of the cylinders?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
What all is done to the truck aftermarket wise? What were the compression results for the rest of the cylinders?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply's guys. I had a long day yesterday and did not check in.
The intake was set up with a K and N, he pulled it off and went back to stock Ford after getting advice from the second of the Diesel Shops. I got to read the paperwork from the second shop and I agree with all they have done. They replaced the injector, took a compression test and replaced the cam sensor and one other I don't remember.
The truck has run very well since that time but EGT goes very high very fast. Shop 2 charged $ 1000. but made it run respectable except for the EGT's.
Shop # 1 installed the gauges, down pipe and intake all at different visits while doing other maintenance issues. The gauges went in a couple years ago and my buddy says they read normally until the down pipe went in. He started looking for another shop as his truck kept getting worse and the shop kept charging him more. They actually told him both head gastets were blown and they needed to tear down his engine and estimated the job at 5 to $6,000. A separate test at another shop, shop 3 showed no exhaust in the coolant, no coolant in the exhaust and no coolant in the oil ruling out head gasket failure.
Sometimes it pays to get a second opinion. Now shop 1 is out of the picture and we are trying to go back and repair some of their work.
Is it normal on these for the exhaust to run right against the Tranny and coolant lines. This seems to be wrong in my book, I would like to see at least an inch between them if not more.
I called him last night to ask him to check the location of the pyrometer. I want to see if it is before or after the turbo. I believe on these you want it before the turbo.
I asked for paperwork to see if I can determine what was done to the computer. He was able to show me the computer on the drivers side fender and said shop 1advised him to let them reprogram it, that is the paperwork I have not got to see yet. I hope paperwork is available to see what exactly was done.
This is a nice Truck, he has taken good care of it but I am pretty sure he was led astray by shop 1.

Last edited by Westlotorn; 07-23-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
Sorry, I did get to see this paperwork but the only reference was to the quoted bad cylinder with only 350 psi.
If 400 to 450 is normal for a new 7.3L 350 does not concern me much knowing it had a bad injector in that cyl for a while.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Boost Pressure on this 7.3L

Talking with this guy last night he revealed that it was floored for a bit when we went up the long grade at 65 mph but I never saw more than 10 to 13 lbs of boost. Driving in town it was always 4 to 6 maybe while driving easy. What should we be seeing on a 7.3L and how long does it take before full boost comes up? Is it pretty much instant or does it take 30 seconds to reach full boost?
Does the computer control the waste gate on these?

Sorry for the ignorance, my only Diesel was a Suburban powered with a 6.2L.
I kept it 14 years with good service, I finally broke down and bought a Turbo kit for it, JTS, and it got rear ended before I ever installed the turbo. On its best day with a jacked up pump it made half the power a PSD makes.

Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The downpipe is going to be pretty much almost touch the tranny if it is a 3 inch. Just no room, so that is normal.

You say EGT are high and talk about orange and red area on the gauge. What does that actually mean in Deg F? Does it say on the gauge? Maybe the red arc starts too early and you worry about nothing. Maybe the shop had no idea what kind of gauge it took.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if i am correct the probe for the egt gauge should be tapped into the exhaust manifold thats where mine is. i have seen some that have put it in the downpipe but i am told they will not get an accurate reading and a diesel mechanic was the one that told me that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.