CEL on - help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CEL on - help

95 F250 7.3 / 226,000 miles / auto / no mods

When cold fires right up, driven for 10 minutes at highway speeds and park in yard while idling. Within 3 minutes engine dies but will restart only to flash CEL. If you dont throttle it before volt delay ends it will shut down due to erractic idle then it will smooth out and idle fine with CEL out for about 3 minutes and then die once again and the CEL on process starts over again. I have replaced:

CPS
rt v/c gskt
UVCH harnesses (pin 1 for glow plug 3 burnt)
4 glow plugs
alternator
positive battery cable unit
GPR
oil change
fuel filter and cleaned FPR screen
IPR orings replaced 2007

My scanner pulled P0341 code / camshaft sensor performance. Guide me in the right direction to correct this problem as I am lost.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
heres a lil bump for ya
Old 07-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checked harness from CMP up to crossover to main circuit and everything looked good, rewrapped and reconnected all plugs. I pulled my CMP that I just installed from Ford ( # F4TZ12K073C which replaced F6TZ12K073A silver mount brkt) and it is shorter than the original one that I pulled ( stamped OC97 gold mount brkt). Could this be my problem? I understand camshaft end play and air gap and this bulletin that I found explains some of it:

No start at times; Intermittent stalling while driving during warm-up or when hot, usually restarts; Power "hitch" at cruise or under load; Possible DTC#'s P0340, P0341, P0344:
Cam Position (CMP) sensor.
The CMP sensor provides the PCM with cylinder ID and engine RPM. Sometimes hard to detect, even with a scan tool while monitoring the RPM signal. If the PCM does not receive a clear CMP signal, it won't signal the Injector Driver Module (IDM) to energize the injector solenoids.
If this symptom occurs, or if you find one or more of the above codes, check the wiring to the CMP for continuity--BOB pin 90 to CMP pin B; BOB pin 65 to CMP pin A; BOB pin 49 to CMP pin C. NOTE: A code P0344 may be set any time the engine is cranked for an excessive period of time. Early CMP sensors were @ 1.152" in length, and with the different materials--plastic sensor, aluminum timing cover, steel tone ring) the air gap would change drastically during engine warm-up. There were TSB's published for shimming the sensors 0.010" to cure these problems as well as the drastic repair of replacing the camshaft--something a Navistar tech assist rep recommended not doing even if excessive end play was verified. There have been two updates to the CMP. One to decrease the length to 1.142", and also to improve the internal circuitry for less "noise". The CMP designed for engines built after serial number 375549 have gold-plated terminals and cannot be substituted with those designed for previous engines.
94-96 CMP: F6TZ-12K073-A; original Navistar part suffix C-96, C-97; replaced by C-98; replaced by C-99
97 CMP: F7TZ-12K073-A; early suffix C-91; replaced by late suffix C-92; both replaced by C-93.
The suffix is stamped on the connector end of the CMP and can be used to identify the level of the part installed. Replace any CMP's with a suffex of C-96, 97, 91 if these symptoms are experienced. Lube the o-ring and connector with silicone dielectric grease when installing.

I'm heading back to Ford in the morning to figure this one out and my question would be if I installed the shorter CMP instead of the longer version I removed would this create my problem.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:57 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Did the new CPS change anything?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The new CPS is the first thing I installed when my problem started with the CEL coming on three weeks ago (been chasing this thing for awhile); I'm taking it back tomorrow to Ford and find out what is going on with the different sizes and the part number being replaced to another number;the short one they sold me to be correct for 94-96 models. Correct me if I'm wrong but a cold engine will react different in regard to cam end play than a hot engine so in theory when my motor warms up after 10 minutes the end play increases causing a bigger air gap between the sensor and cam and a fault is detected by the PCM and engine shuts down. It will restart but die within 3 minutes - everytime.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:01 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

That sounds like good logic to me. But, since the new CPS didn't change anything at all, I would suspect something else. The shim thing may be in order. Let us know what you find out, and good luck!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I never made it to Ford today to research the different lengths of CPS's for our powerstrokes. I decided to reinstall my OEM sensor that I pulled thinking was bad; truck fired but still had the same problem so I looked at the ICP sensor. Upon pulling the plug I noticed it and the sensor oil soaked and I knew this couldn't be good. I cleaned plug and sensor and replugged it,fired up truck and after volt delay quit the rough idle started so I unplugged the ICP sensor and idle was perfect. I let it run for 5 minutes and reinstalled plug and within 1 minute engine died. I did this 3 times and it reacted the same every time - I believe I finally found my problem; I will post back with an update when I get the new sensor in .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.