Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2 Problems

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  john galt 
#1 ·
I took my 95 out on an actual trip this weekend and i got out to the highway and got up to speed and went to set the cruise and no dice. Well then i tried my horn and it too didnt work. I checked the fuse for cruise but it was good. Where else do you suggest checking? Clockspring?

2nd one isnt really a problem but more like a WTF. I pulled into work this morning and after cooling down i go to flip the key off and the truck kept running for a good 1-2 seconds past when i turned the to off. Any thing i should look at what could have caused this

#3 ·
Well would that cause the horn to not work either?

#4 ·
:bump: not sure I have the same problem (aside from the running after shutdown) and I assumed it was my clockspring as they are kinda known to go out... but the ignitions thing? I have NO idea?
hopefully you will get someone on here with more knowledge than i have amassed thus far.

#5 ·
Well the shut down thing i think maybe was a glitch in the pcm or something, as long as it doesnt happen anymore or worse i cant get it to shut off.

#6 · (Edited)
Common thing between the horn and cruise is the steering wheel, so yeah, that's where I'd start looking (clockspring, ground). Haven't checked the EVTM in a while, but I've never heard of any relay on the firewall, related to the cruise or anything else for that matter. Relays are all in the underhood power distribution box, except for the starter and glow plug relays.

#7 ·
Common thing between the horn and cruise is the steering wheel, so yeah, that's where I'd start looking. Haven't checked the EVTM in a while, but I've never heard of any relay on the firewall, related to the cruise or anything else for that matter. Relays are all in the underhood power distribution box, except for the starter and glow plug relays.
I didnt think so either, ill go through and look at all the fuses tonight other than the cruise one. It was late so not much troubleshooting time. Ill see if im even getting power to the steering wheel

#8 ·
Maybe my relay on the firewall was put in by the previous owner, but it works the cruise.
The horn relay is in the under hood fuse box, center relay spot. Here's a link that shows it.
1996 Ford F350 Super Duty XLT Engine Compartment Fuse Box Diagram » Auto Fuse Box Diagram
Hope this helps. I'm new at working on powerstrokes, don't know a lot.
My 96 wouldn't start this morning, check engine light on and all. Switched the PCM relay with the horn relay and it started, and horn worked too. Go figure. Good luck.

#9 ·
Cruise and horn not working ended up being a relay in the distribution box, as for not shutting off it hasnt done it since so maybe a slightly had the ignition on or a glitch or something:dunno: oh well

#10 ·
Figured out the relay on my firewall. Somehow it was wired into the cruise, and the relay was for the Pacbrake that has never worked right. When that relay went bad the cruise stopped working.
Sorry for the mis-lead, it wasn't intended.
Glad ya got 'er fixed.
Signed: Still learning in Florida.

#11 ·
I havent been able to play with my truck much of late but I will have to check out relays for the cruise horn set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.