Annoying noise no clue what it is - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 04:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Annoying noise no clue what it is

Hey guys so I'm trying to figure out what the heck this noise is. First off it is a 1997 f250 7.3l 4x4 automatic transmission 4.10s. So this noise usually only happens when going uphill so the engine is under load. It is sort of a knocking not quite as harsh as a grinding. Very annoying sound. The reason I'm having trouble diagnosing is because there is no symptoms. It still shifts great has plenty of power turbo sounds good. There is no side effect of driving while the noise is present. Bu it doesn't do it all the time some hills ill be running 2500rpm an runs great. When the noise does come it will usualy go away if I let off the gas an let It slow down. It has done It all the way back to idle. Anybody have any ideas? I just redid the whole driveshaft so that's ruled out. Doesn't leak anything. I'm stumped someone please help. I will try to get a video up of the noise If I can. What would the symptoms be of bad injectors? Torque converter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 06:32 PM

do you have a 3" dp? If so Id check to see if its rubbing on the firewall
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 PM

It has a 4 inch exhaust from turbo back. How do I check if its rubbing? Where should I look
Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 AM

So I talked to a buddy and he said the gaskets from the up-pipe on the turbo can blow out. Anyone heard of this? Or the boots and couplers having crack an making an exhaust leak. Could this be the noise? I forgot to mention towing a trailer over the mountains I was only getting 15psi boost at most more around 9
Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke814 View Post
So I talked to a buddy and he said the gaskets from the up-pipe on the turbo can blow out. Anyone heard of this? Or the boots and couplers having crack an making an exhaust leak. Could this be the noise? I forgot to mention towing a trailer over the mountains I was only getting 15psi boost at most more around 9
Check the gasket at the top of the y pipe/turbo. This is spot where you can lose boost, Also, 4 clamps at the y pipe boots, re-tighten them or replace them they degrade over time. The donut gaskets can blow out, if so you can see if there is soot where they connect to the collector. You may need an inspection mirror for this but also wipe the firewall insulation with a white rag or towel and see how much black comes off.

Trace your down pipe from where it exits the turbo and see if it is touching the firewall anywhere and or the transmission.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the help! I'm gonna check all of this out when I get off work today. Hopefully this is the problem. Soul I be able to se tht the gasket it blown?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke814 View Post
Thanks for the help! I'm gonna check all of this out when I get off work today. Hopefully this is the problem. Soul I be able to se tht the gasket it blown?
Yes, that is a v-band clamp, pull it off and the gasket (donut) will be right there between the pipe and the turbo. Check out the silicone boots while you have them off, they degrade. I replaced my 2 plenum boots and the intake boot with some from Riffraff. putting the boots back is not a hard but if your oem boots are not in good shape you can tear them pretty easy.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM

So just take the "y" pipe off ad the boots and I should see it? I'll check it out and let you guys know
Old 10-09-2013, 03:02 PM

To make it easier just remove the v-clamp and loosen the other four boot clamps and wiggle it side to side while pulling up till the boots are off the plenums. Cover with tape or stuff with rags the plenums ASAP because you don't want anything to accidently fall in them. Like the gasket you are checking for instance. IIRC the donut is hard and if it's broken it may be in a couple of pieces.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Ok also heard maybe the fan clutch could be the sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.