need A/C help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need A/C help

Took my 97 F-350 stroke in to have the A/C charged, they told me it needs a new compressor with labor we are looking at $900.00. Can anyone tell me what other parts I need to install the compressor, I found one at Advance for $181.00 , I'll install myself but know nothing of A/C install.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 AM

replace the drier also. its always a good idea to replace the drier anytime the system is opened up because it absorbs moisture in the system. replaceing the compressor on that truck is very very easy but you have to have the refrigerant sucked out of it before you disconnect the hoses otherwise you lose whats in it and run the risk of hurting yourself if there is still pressure in the lines.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

they wont warranty the compresor unless you replace the drier/accumulator , and i would replace the orifice tube also
Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewy8 View Post
replace the drier also. its always a good idea to replace the drier anytime the system is opened up because it absorbs moisture in the system. replaceing the compressor on that truck is very very easy but you have to have the refrigerant sucked out of it before you disconnect the hoses otherwise you lose whats in it and run the risk of hurting yourself if there is still pressure in the lines.
Thanks for the help,there is no refrigerent left in it,it's all leaked out.I think I'll attempt it myself then have my son-in-law recharge it.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 PM

yes orfice tube too, i forgot about that.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:31 PM

what is the location of the orifice tube?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Premium Member

YouTube - AC BASICS 2 OF 6 FORD POWERSTROKE DIESEL TRUCK watch this video at around 3:00, i would recommended watching the whole a/c video series since your doing the compressor to, this guy knows his stuff
Old 08-11-2009, 05:04 AM

That was good info about the orifice tube.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Emergency Services

The orifice tube is in the small line going into your evaporator core. There is a little crimped spot in one of the lines about 3" from a connection. Open the connection, and take a pair of needle-nosed pliers and pull it out carefully. If is is grayish and greasy feeling, it's alright just to put another one back in. If it comes out with big flakes of aluminum and crap on it, then you might need to flush the lines before you re-assemble the system.

The last thing is that you will want to vacuum the system before you have more refrigerant put back in. It will get most of the moisture out of it, and it will cool a lot better. You can rent an electric vacuum pump at Auto Zone. One last thing, you need to put oil in the system. The parts store can tell you what kind, and hoe much. Put an ounce in the suction line of the compressor a few drips at a time, and turn the compressor over a dozen times by hand. Then put the rest of the amount into the drier.

It's all pretty easy to put together. The only special tool you will need is a set of A/C line disconnect thingys. They are more or less the same things as fuel line disconnect tools, but bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.