transmission leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transmission leak

Hey guys I have a 96 f350 dually, 5 speed single cab with 257,000 miles on it and today I got up underneath the truck after I got to school and saw red drips coming down, not a lot of fluid but no gushing out, in about an hour or two I'll be able to go back outside to it and look and see how much bigger the puddle has gotten. (Was no puddle at all when I left but i ran my finger on the bottom of the pan to the corner because it had a drop about to fall and it was red so that's why I think its transmission fluid) I need to drive it another 20 miles or so today. Do you guys think it'll be fine to drive it? Im not sure on what's really what on this truck but I have a good idea because I've been reading a bunch of stuff on this website that everybody's put on it helping me to learn. I'm not sure if I worded this good enough or anything like that, if you guys need more details I'll definitely give them to y'all! Not sure what to do, but I'm gonna get up under it in around an hour or two and I'll look around and try and find where the leak is at. Anything else I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Generally speaking, where is it leaking from, the flywheel inspection cover on the front of the trans or at the rear near the driveshaft yoke? If it was just a few drips and it has only started recently, you should be OK to drive it 20 miles. Remove the inspection cover and check inside the bellhousing for leakage, check around the vent (if you can find it on top), around the shifter housing area, and the PTO covers on each side. Cheers!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Generally speaking, where is it leaking from, the flywheel inspection cover on the front of the trans or at the rear near the driveshaft yoke? If it was just a few drips and it has only started recently, you should be OK to drive it 20 miles. Remove the inspection cover and check inside the bellhousing for leakage, check around the vent (if you can find it on top), around the shifter housing area, and the PTO covers on each side. Cheers!
Thanks! I took it and drove up to my dual credit mechanics class and I parked it and the shop and maybe 3 drops put a puddle about the size of a half dollar were left after we got done messing with it so its leaking only a little bit. Is it OK if you get cawk and seal it up that way? Because if so that's what we're gonna do tomorrow. I checked the fluid after my teacher showed me where the plug was and its OK, what type of trans fluid does it take if you don't mind me askin? I'll top it off after were done and I need to know what to buy. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you figure out where it is leaking? You could reseal the PTO covers or the shifter housing if they happened to be leaking, but everything else is a seal (like on the input and output shafts). I had the rear yoke nut come loose on my 94 which caused a leak at the output shaft seal, but a new nut (its a one-time use only self-locker) and the leak stopped. The tranny will use a SYNTHETIC ATF. Don't caulk it unless that is what is called for! Cheers!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Did you figure out where it is leaking? You could reseal the PTO covers or the shifter housing if they happened to be leaking, but everything else is a seal (like on the input and output shafts). I had the rear yoke nut come loose on my 94 which caused a leak at the output shaft seal, but a new nut (its a one-time use only self-locker) and the leak stopped. The tranny will use a SYNTHETIC ATF. Don't caulk it unless that is what is called for! Cheers!
Its coming from the back of the trans, the plate up underneath is bent where the backside droops down and we just thought that was where it was coming from. Im not sure of what's what still so I can't really describe it very well. The plates held on by 2 screws I think is it OK to take that off? I was afraid some fluid would spew out if I dropped it, I checked the trans fluid and its good if I haven't already said that. So take that off and see if I can find the leak from up underneath that plate? (60-70% sure that's where the leaks coming from. Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
At this point a picture is worth 1000 words. The only "plate" I know of is the trans mount?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck15 View Post
At this point a picture is worth 1000 words. The only "plate" I know of is the trans mount?
One second I took some pictures uploadin right now
Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
alright. Soon as I see a pic I will probably be able to tell ya whats going on. Ive been all over these transmissions
Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck15 View Post
alright. Soon as I see a pic I will probably be able to tell ya whats going on. Ive been all over these transmissions
Can't see it real well it's not the pan I meant to take pictures of but of the pan right behind it(closer to the camera) sorry I didn't get real good pictures.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3kid View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Can't see it real well it's not the pan I meant to take pictures of but of the pan right behind it(closer to the camera) sorry I didn't get real good pictures.
Forgot this one... [IMG][/IMG] sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.