Truck will NOT start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 07:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck will NOT start

1997 f250 2wd. The truck has been acting up. After a late night at my buddies I went to start it and the truck tried to crank but sounded almost as if it hydro locked and all electrics shut off. Tried to throw it on the charger at max power and it would not even light up. After sitting a little while interior lights came on but the truck would just click from one of the solenoids under the hood and also from the fuse box. We swapped in a marine battery and had the charger on it still nothing. Finally after about 2 hours it cranked over and started randomly. Drove it fine for a week until I went to go to school and the truck went to crank and just stopped, killing all electrics in the truck. Spent the day with my brother trying to figure it out. Batteries tested fine, alternator was new 15,000 ago, and a new starter in march. I checked the bolts to the starter and one was a little loose. Tightened it and still nothing. So I took the starter out cleaned it up bench tested it on the ground. Everything spun freely and fine. After we bolted it back up it did another half crank and was dead again. Then I tried one more time and it started. I drove for 2 more days before I stopped by my moms shop and it did the same thing AGAIN. I went to auto zone and they gave me a new starter under warranty and swapped that out with the old one and still no avail I am really stumped. With the charger on the truck just clicks rapidly coming from the starter. ANY ideas will be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you isolate the batteries and _load_ test them?

How is the main cable, the one running between the two battery positives and to the starter main motor? How are the battery negative cables?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 AM

all of my terminals are complete junk, as far as the cables the are in decent shape

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Stroked View Post
all of my terminals are complete junk,
Um, fix that first.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:23 AM

I took the batteries to a shop to have them tested and they checked out. It is not the terminals that is the problem, although they are getting replaced. I need ideas on why this ol gal ain't cranking

Old 09-17-2013, 10:14 AM

I replaced the fender mounted solenoid and still nothing... My brother seems to think it is a ground possibly? I have not replaced the terminals yet but i really do not think that is the problem because when i put it on the charger everything lights up but just clicks. It has a new starter, new fender mounted solenoid and i had the batteries tested at a shop. What is next on the list?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:27 PM

The charger is just providing secondary power to light up the accessories. Doesn't have nearly enough power to crank the starter. The truck WILL NOT start with bad terminal connections. Fix what you know is broke. The relay was probably fine.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:46 PM

Ok I will replace the terminals and possibly the batteries and get back to you!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, dead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.