Powerstroke problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 03:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstroke problems

First off i have a 1997 power stroke xlt extra cab 4x4 auto transmission. I went hunting this week and towed a trailer with around 4000lbs. When i was going over the mountain pass under load the truck would make some wierd noises. not grinding but maybe a misfiring cylinder or something with the drivetrain. It still pulled hard and had plenty of power there was just the noise. I drove it unloaded and still got the noise when under load. It threw a po344 i believe. It was the one that said cam position sensor intermittent problem. COuld this be the noise im hearing? I was also at 6000ft elevation and had some rough starting occasionally is this normal with the elevation? and got around 13-15 mpg which seems pretty bad. any ideas would be very helpful.

Last edited by powerstroke814; 08-31-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Nothing wrong with replacing the CPS as PM; the only thing altitude could effect is the baro sensor, controls fuel and glowplugs. You could be low on boost and the high altitude is making it more obvious. Not sure about that sound, any smoke?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 AM

Figured out the sound. It was carrier bearing. driveline is at the shop now. What would cause low boost?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke814 View Post
What would cause low boost?
Leaking boots at the y pipe or where it attaches to the turbo or a leaking intake plenum is common. Also look for soot around the up pipes behind the turbo.

A boost detector is fairly easy to make. There are threads on how to make your own detector for under $20.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:50 PM

Did you get the 13-15 MPG while towing? What mileage do you usually get? I get 18.5-20 mpg unloaded and 16 with 1000 lbs in the bed; thats with a ZF-5, 3.55 rear, and 212k mi. If you boost is real low you will have black smoke. Personally, i'd replace the CPS w/ a Motorcraft and call it good. At 6000 ft you are starting off 3psi lower than you would at sea level so mileage will suffer. Anyone with experiences please chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.