94 Powerstroke Stalling need help? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Meridian, Mississippi
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jsoundguy
Question 94 Powerstroke Stalling need help?

Okay please help read entirely still sounds weird to me. Have a 94 powerstroke 364,000 miles runs good accept, it stalls or hicups sometimes under electrical loads that shouldn't make it! If you are sitting at a redlight with a signal on it will try to hicup or sometimes stall when you are trying to take off. the main regular driving problem is the signals. it gets worse with a trailer and if you have the trailer brakes hooked up activating them will kill it every time. Other things that will make it hicup are hazzards, headlights, bright lights, brake being applied, interior light. It seems to be getting worse at night battery gauge is lower than usaul. The weird thing is the a/c radio don't affect it at all. more hicups at night but can happen anytime even changing lanes at 70 it hicups. Alternator is less than a year truck was doing this before and after it was installed one battery is about 3 years one is 2 years i think i have almost had the truck a year. I had the battiries checked a few months ago seemed fine they said. THis is my daily driver gets 20 plus on the highway don't tow much by the way all the specs it is a 1994 (built in june 94) powerstroke f-250 extended cab long bed 5 speed all stock except k & N in factory box 364,000 miles. Please HELP!
jsoundguy is offline  
post #2 of 11 Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Meridian, Mississippi
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jsoundguy
Any Ideas anyone please help!
jsoundguy is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wichita Falls
Posts: 120
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine did the same thing. Does it fire right back up after it dies? For me it was the alternator. It was still putting out some juice but not enough so under high loads the batteries had to back it up. Since they didn't get properly charged any more either it acted up. Alternator test is free a Auto Zone and those places. If you have a Voltmeter you can check a little bit yourself. Check battery voltage with Truck off, should be a little more than 12V. Crank it, now it should be upwards of 14V (after glow plug relay has shut off), maybe a little below 14V with all electrical equipment turned on (High Beams, Fan to High, Max A/C). If it is only 13V or so your alternator is bad. If you replaced it before maybe you got one with lifetime warranty?

Good luck!

1997 F350 Crew Cab Dually 2WD PSD 5 Speed Short Range Manual
3' downpipe, Kitty delete, DIY NAPA Filter Intake, Edge Evo Programer on Lvl 1 for MPG
stinky is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 05-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Emergency Services

 
Sam Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Armstrong B.C. Canada
Posts: 800
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
have you replaced your cam postion sensor?
mine did wierd things like that, i changed the cps and it has been fine ever since.



1978 Ford Bronco
12v Cummins
ZF-5 NP 205 10.25 rear Dana 60 front
Denny T fuel pin 366 governor spring
HX 35 turbo BD exhaust brake
Powerstroke intercooler

1990 F-350 Crew-Cab Short Box XLT 4x4
Powerstroke E4OD
170cc stage 1 injectors, superduty intercooler, flowmaster 3" down pipe, 4" exhaust, 6637 filter, 17* HPOP, Wildman tunes, build E4OD, 5 disc billet converter, Irate E-fuel, 1.0 exhaust housing, WW2, CCV mod, homemade RSK
Sam Burton is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 05-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 642
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kx592
its 100% the CPS
kx592 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-22-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Meridian, Mississippi
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jsoundguy
Did i hear someone say best place to get the cps is international and approximately how much?
jsoundguy is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wichita Falls
Posts: 120
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got mine at Autozone for around $30. But check with Ford first if your Trucks falls under the recall. They recently recalled a bunch of Trucks for that sensor and then they fix it for free. They even reimbursed me for my sensor I bought a few weeks prior to the recall so keep the receipt.

1997 F350 Crew Cab Dually 2WD PSD 5 Speed Short Range Manual
3' downpipe, Kitty delete, DIY NAPA Filter Intake, Edge Evo Programer on Lvl 1 for MPG
stinky is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoundguy View Post
Okay please help read entirely still sounds weird to me. Have a 94 powerstroke 364,000 miles runs good accept, it stalls or hicups sometimes under electrical loads that shouldn't make it! If you are sitting at a redlight with a signal on it will try to hicup or sometimes stall when you are trying to take off. the main regular driving problem is the signals. it gets worse with a trailer and if you have the trailer brakes hooked up activating them will kill it every time. Other things that will make it hicup are hazzards, headlights, bright lights, brake being applied, interior light. It seems to be getting worse at night battery gauge is lower than usaul. The weird thing is the a/c radio don't affect it at all. more hicups at night but can happen anytime even changing lanes at 70 it hicups. Alternator is less than a year truck was doing this before and after it was installed one battery is about 3 years one is 2 years i think i have almost had the truck a year. I had the battiries checked a few months ago seemed fine they said. THis is my daily driver gets 20 plus on the highway don't tow much by the way all the specs it is a 1994 (built in june 94) powerstroke f-250 extended cab long bed 5 speed all stock except k & N in factory box 364,000 miles. Please HELP!

you either have a problem with your alternator, battery, or your regulator either one of those could cause those problems bypass the alternator to check if the regulator is bad if it isnt most likely your alternator if thats good change your battery and if none of those work you gotta a problem with your grounds and you should prolly replace your batter cables and put in new ground cables
power73strokin is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Premium Member
 
SMKSTAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Effort/Nanticoke,Pa.
Posts: 5,441
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoundguy View Post
Did i hear someone say best place to get the cps is international and approximately how much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky View Post
I got mine at Autozone for around $30. But check with Ford first if your Trucks falls under the recall. They recently recalled a bunch of Trucks for that sensor and then they fix it for free. They even reimbursed me for my sensor I bought a few weeks prior to the recall so keep the receipt.
If you have a dealership close by a new CPS costs $21-22 dollars. The recall only covers back to 1997 trucks. Hopefully that's your problem because it's a cheap fix.

RICK


97 F350 CREW CAB 4x4, 7.3 TURBO DIESEL, DIY INTAKE , TW TUNES
GRAND ROCK POWERFLOW STACK KIT W/5" MITRES
3.55 REARS, 3" DOWNPIPE, FPR SHIMMED WITH GAUGE

SMKSTAX is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Meridian, Mississippi
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jsoundguy
isn't there spme ford technicians on here anyone every came accross this problem need it fixed but don't have the money to fix a hundred things
jsoundguy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome