hard start/poor running - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hard start/poor running

Hi, I have been having trouble with my 95 OBS truck w/325,000km's(200,000+mi). It quit a while ago, eventually I replaced the fuel pump and batteries, it started, next replaced ICP as oil was in connector and pressures jumped around, cleaned FPR screen etc. it is a bit blackish- looks like engine oil is getting in somewhere. then ran ok once running but would not start hot, took out IPR and found oring and backup ring wrecked-replaced that and it started when hot (yeah 1 victory). Now my issue, which has been there from the time I bought the truck, is no start or hard start no matter what the temp outside when the engine is cold. It will sometimes start and barely run, last time it ran for a few seconds and then shut off, I had checked the oil in the HPOP a while back and it was ok. The second last time I started it, it ran but very poorly but I kept it floored for about 5 min and it finally would rev up to about 1500 rpm at first only 5-600rpm ( at least 2-3 min). It takes a good 15-20 min until the temp guage is in the normal before there is ANY POWER. It can not climb my driveway of a 2 1/2 foot rise in 40 feet. It has 400 lbs compression on the 2 cyl I checked as I replaced the Glow plugs. I also replaced the LH UVCH harnesses and the valve cover as well as the LH rear connector on the harness as there was some damage. I don't have a code reader for this unit, no engine light is on. The pressure at regulator was jumping from 40-60 and the HPOP at the RH head was going over 3000 psi. Not sure what else to check. Oh and it took about 8 seconds to spool up to about 1600 rpm (when warmed up) with brake on (testing stall, if you don't know this- just don't do it very long as you can overheat the trans oil) and that's all it would do the one try, second try I got to 1950ish- left dually blackies that time. I wish I had a truck to go side by side to see how the performance compares to it when warm. I have trouble believing they run this poorly when cold and for that long. Any suggestions??? there is 12 volts at the GPR as well, ohm's good on GP's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like injectors to me
Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well there isn't too much more it could be I guess.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 PM

Try pulling the valve covers and see if equal amounts of oil are coming from the injectors. The oil exhausting from the injectors is directly proportional to the amount of fuel being delivered. Also before I bought injectors I'd but an AE scan tool with the Ford package. Only $360, that not much compared to needlessly replacing injectors assuming that's not the issue.

Could also be the IDM...

And was the FPR screen or the fuel filter blackish? If just the screen your ok, just 18 years of crap built up, mine was the same way, if its the filter prob injector o-rings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.