Start-up Question...In the morning.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Start-up Question...In the morning....

Hi All, New guy here to the forum,

I just bought a 95 f-350 powerstroke turbo for $3k...Has 263k...Trucks solid, but had to do a few things to it already like solenoid, beremetric sensor, cam shaft sensor, back-pressure sensor...Even before the work with all the sensors, ive been having trouble starting the truck in the morning.

I live in CT and the nights currently are between 50-65....Everytime I try to start in the morning it takes a long time and alot of white smoke comes out of exhaust pipe...Eventually it will start and once that happens its good all day....

In your opinion, do you guys think it may be time for new glow plugs and a relay? The only other thing I can think of is an injector change....

Also, I am looking for some performance mods so if anyone has something throw me a message in my inbox on what you got....

Thanks All, its much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I would start with a check of the Glowplug Relay. With a digital volt ohmmeter, check the voltage drop across the relay's large terminals when the key is turned to Wait-To-Start. This is done by placing one DVOM lead on one of the relay's large terminals and the other DVOM lead on the other relay large terminal (this measures the voltage "drop" directly). A reading of more than 0.5V and the relay is probably toast. I like the Stancor (now White-Rodgers) 586-902 as a replacement (much better than stock). Other guys like the Western Plow 56131K-1 which is a lot cheaper. You can also check the glowplugs by checking the resistance from the outermost pins on each valvecover gasket connection to ground. Each connector (there are 2 per valvecover, so 4 per engine) has 5 pins (outermost are for the glowplugs and inner 3 are for injectors). You should get 0.1 to 2 ohms for each one. If you do need new glowplugs, it's not too bad of a job and I would recommend using only Motorcraft/Beru ZD-11 plugs (DO NOT use Autolites!!! as they tend to swell and get stuck in the heads). Cheers!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 AM

Thanks Patrick

Thanks again for the feedback Patrick...I will keep you posted on the progress of those glow plugs...
Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 AM

Just Tested the Glow Plug Relay

I just tested the relay Patrick and its faulty...I have no power from one side when the key is in the on position....I am going to order the relay you said was a good one tomorrow....

I want to know to if there is anyway to adjust the idle to make it run alittle higher for starting purpose...Is that something that is a fuel regulator deal or what??? Not to sure...

Thanks for the help again

-Chad-
Old 08-18-2013, 09:06 AM

The idle is controlled by the truck's computer (PCM). There are a few ways to adjust it: With the factory option Auxilliary Idle Control (AIC) unit which is also known as an APCM. It is basically plug and play with that (you can find them on ebay) and you can change what the idle setting is. You can also get the high idle as one position on a multi-position chip from many vendors and there is only the one set idle with that. You can also build a DIY isle controller that basically fools the truck's PCM into thinking the accelerator pedal has been pushed. It's cheap, it works, but the idle is not as rock steady as the factory AIC especially when the truck is stone cold (thick oil and friction, etc). Once the truck is warm, it is steady. I made and use one on my 94 for many years. I have a writeup and crude diagram of it if you want it (PM me your email address and I will send them to you). Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.