Trouble codes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trouble codes?

THese are the codes i pulled at work. p1211-Manufacturer specific code.
PO381-Glow Plug/heater indicator circuit Malfunction. PO238 Turbo/Supercharger Boost Sensor A Circuit High. What do these mean and what do i need to fix these problems? The Truck is a 1997 Ford-F-250.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Info on your truck would help, 1211 and 238 sound like codes from a tuned or chipped truck to me, 381 I haven’t heard of before. Maybe clear the codes and see which ones come back.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM

I bought the truck used and dont really know how to tell if its a chipped truck or not. How do i find this out?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Well, does it have gauges? If so and if you can get the boost over 17 psi then it is chipped or programmed. Also if it blows black smoke when you floor it from a dead stop then it’s chipped or programmed. If no smoke or gauges and your 0-60 time is around 14 seconds or more then it probably is stock. If it is chipped then the chip can be seen in the back of the computer.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:02 PM

Ya it has gauges. And it blows out a decent amount of smoke. Can i buy a programmer and make it faster? Its got 190,000 miles and its a 5 speed? What should i do maintenance wise. I already did the oil change.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Fill out your signature so we can automatically know the details about your truck.

Figure out if it has a chip or if someone left a program in it, pull the computer and see if there is a chip installed in it, if not then it may have a program left in it or had the PCM custom burned. Either way, if you get a new programmer it probably will not work because of the previous one. IF you have a chip you can remove it and get a better one IF its not a good one.

Make sure your egt probe is before the turbo and not after it. What kinda max boost numbers and max egt numbers you seeing?

Maintenance wise, IF it were me I’d put a DIY intake on it and change the tranny fluid and transfer case fluid and front and rear diff fluid and antifreeze and add the anticavitation additive to the coolant and inspect the brakes, and steering system, and etc,etc. I like the Amsoil for the diffs and stuff, clean them out good and put Amsoil in it once and be done with it for about 200,000 miles or more.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:45 PM

Well i went to Nor Cal Truck and he told me to pull the Pcm out so im gonna do that today. My max boost is around 30 and i have never seen my egts go over 1200. He also said if there is no chip then flash the computer and start all over. I changed the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid,both diffs and engine oil.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke Techie

To me 30 psi means you got at least a chip in it if not chip and injectors and turbo etc. 1200 max means your pyro is likely in the down pipe, I'd check it and if in the down pipe I'd move it to the manifold pretty quickly if it were me.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:49 PM

How do i move it from the down pipe to the manifold. One other question is i pulled the e-brake off and i dont see how its possible to pull the computer out...how can i go about doing that to check if it is chipped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.