Help my diagnose my leaks please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me diagnose my leaks please

I have a recently purchased 1996 Ford F250 PSD with a few leaks. I knew there were leaks before I bought it after doing a thorough inspection, so no surprises here. The plan is to fix them myself as long as they're not in impossible places to get to. One of the leaks is coming from the piece (don't know the exact name) that houses the oil dip stick that screws right onto the side of the oil pan itself. At least with this leak, I have a pretty good idea where it's coming from and how to fix it.

Another leak that I have seems to be coming from the front diff. I've only used 4wd a few days ago, but there is still fluid leaking. The fluid is of a greenish color. The pic doesn't do it justice, but it appears to be coming from where the assembly actually goes into the diff on the right side.

What's the best way to go about stopping this leak? It's not terrible, but I would prefer to have as few leaks possible.

I also have a fuel leak. It is dripping off the starter, but as far as I know, the starter doesn't use any fuel and wouldn't be leaking itself. I believe the fuel is just dripping down and happens to be hitting the starter. This leak only occurs after the truck has been driven. The other night I cleaned it all completely and the truck sat yesterday without running. There was no dripping at all after I cleaned it until I drove it today.

There is also fuel leaking from the pan near the starter. (The first pic doesn't really show this because it started dripping later). I'm guessing this fuel is the same fuel that's dripping near the starter. It appears it's running down, collecting on the pan, and dripping down from there. There's a decent size puddle of fuel from it. The oil puddles are about 1/4 to 1/2 the size at most of this one.

Where could this fuel be coming from and what should I look for? I know the valley on top the last time I checked a few days ago was fairly dry. Any thoughts?

Last edited by DChalue413; 08-08-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

They are known for leaking in all of the places you are describing. As far as the fuel leak it could be leaking from one of the hoses connecting to the fuel pump (in the bottom of the valley underneath the fuel bowl) or it could be leaking from the fuel pump itself. It has a wheep hole on the bottom of it and when it starts to go bad it will leak. It could also be leaking fuel from the fuel bowl itself, it has quite a few o-rings in it that are know to go bad over time. As far as the leak on the front diff the picture is hard to tell, are you certain that its not leaking radiator fluid? The water pump could be going bad and causing the coolant to run down onto the diff.

The oil leak is most likely your turbo pedestal running down the back of the block and onto your flywheel cover (pan you are describing). Another common place for them to leak is the head plugs, they have an o-ring on them as well and take the square head of a 1/2 socket wrench and can be pretty difficult to get out with the limited amount of space you have to work with especially on the pass side. When I first bought my truck it was actually leaking from the oil pan itself the bolts were barely hand tight and backed out which makes sense with all the vibrations after 220k miles.

I d recommend getting some simple green or something and thoroughly cleaning all the areas you are describing and drive it for a bit and see if that gives you any better indication of where things are leaking from. This topic is also pretty common so trying doing a search here on the forum and you should turn up tons of info. I get all my o-rings from here and the shipping is pretty quick DieselOrings

Last edited by StrokinNSmokin6.0; 08-08-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:36 AM

The fuel bowls are notorious for leaking and usually it is the drain valve. Inexpensive fix if that is what is leaking, but it will take some time. I did exactly as Strokin recommends. Spray the valley down with simple green while still a little warm. I just used a hose with no nozzle to rinse out after about 15 minutes. Let it dry out and then idle it for bit and check. I would take off the Darth Vader hood, get a flashlight, get on top of the motor and have a look see.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:30 PM

Update:

Cleaned out the valley completely yesterday before work. Drove the truck to work and back with no fuel leaking at all. Just got back a few mins ago from taking the family out to eat. There was no fuel leaking from underneath but I'd figure I should look at the valley. Sure enough there is a small puddle of fuel sitting in it. These were the best pics I could get:

Unfortunately I will be busy all weekend, so I won't have much time to mess with it. Monday I wanted to change my fuel filter anyway, so I might as well pull the bowl to see if there's any leaks coming from there.

As far as the diff goes, I'll take a better look at it later to see if that's where it's actually coming from or not.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Does the green stuff under the front diff smell sweet? Probably coolant, poss. from the thermostat housing, water pump or radiator.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Does the green stuff under the front diff smell sweet? Probably coolant, poss. from the thermostat housing, water pump or radiator.
After looking at closer, it turns out that fluid is actually not green but a yellowish tint and is definitely oil based. When I got home today I cleaned out all the gunk that was built up underneath the diff housing. It was a mixture of oil and dirt (I believe) and had an asphalt-type smell to it. I took a better pic of the leak before I cleaned everything up. The second pic is the gunk that I pulled out from underneath.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 AM

It really hard to tell from those pictures but like madpogue said does it have a sweet smell to it? The only other thing I can think of is diff fluid but its not usually yellow after use.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM

No sweet smell to the fluid near the diff at all. It seems to me coming from where the right axle shaft goes into the housing.

Pulling the fuel bowl tomorrow to see if I can figure out what exactly is leaking fuel.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Maybe get just a little drip of the green stuff on the from and just taste it. Because coolant is sweet and you will know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.