Horn NO Work E - flat/indented Steering wheel pad - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Horn NO Work E - flat/indented Steering wheel pad

Hello & Greetings to the Forum,

Sorta new here, signed on awhile back when I first entered into the Diesel Owner's Ring. Last October, bought my Very First Diesel. OBS, PSD, 1996 F250. Has some mod's done by a previous owner, to what final extent, I don't know. Except for some of the obvious. This is not a daily driver. I bought to pull my toy hauler. So I really have not been driving it, much.

Been slowly attacking some of the big & small problems it had, outside of the major mechanical stuff that it needed & it needed lots. Most done by a mechanic friend. I also bought a lot of Cracks - in the frame, etc. All stuff that was corrected with grinders, welder and lots of time. This was something (repair) I was capable of.

Now anyway, my problem is this: Not too familiar or comfortable, with auto electrical. But I am always willing to learn and have the desire to do so. Just as the desire to really know about diesel's and the PSD. Been reading many different threads on lots of issues and this forum has helped tremendously. Thank you to all of you!!! This is an awesome site with a camaraderie I can see is valued among you's. (is that even a word?)

So, - The pad on the middle of the steering wheel is indented and has no feel of pressing a button to sound the horn. So, obviously my problem is I have No Horn! I presume the Air Bag (don't really know if this truck came with an air bag?) is in there as well?

How do go about figuring out what to do? Is this an easy repairable problem. Can I find out somewhere how to go about repairing or replacing the mechanism? I tried searching Youtube, but no luck. I am ready to start using the truck now on a more regular basis, as many repairs have been completed. Can somebody help me out here? I'm stuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There's no air bag. Horn relay is in the underhood fuse box; might want to start by swapping it with one of the others as a test. Beyond that, the horn pad just pulls off the wheel; you might find something obvious there. The other possibility is the contact rings between the wheel and column; have to remove the wheel to inspect them.

The horn pad doesn't really give much sense of movement when you press it, even when the horn works.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

1996 F250 Horn not working

Thanks for the info, I will do the swapping of the relays.
And Now I know that there is no air bag in the wheel, thanks for that tidbit.

As far as the pad is concerned, it feels like not only indented, but feels like it collapsed, it dips into the wheel. I will do as you stated, and I will attempt removing the pad, I would not think it to be too difficult?

Thanks will be looking at that in the next couple of days.

Have a great week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.