bad e4od. swap to zf5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bad e4od. swap to zf5

Ok so heres my story. Im new here, just bought my first diesel. Had plenty of trucks but all gassers. Im condemning the e4 and am going to go with a manual but I want to understand the issue the e4 is having

So the truck I just bought is a 95 psd with an e4od. He said it needed a new front seal in the tranny and it was spewing fluid out of the bell housing (makes sense). So I loaded up my tools, drove 4hrs, spent all day pulling the tranny out in a church parking lot to replace the seal, all was good drove decent, rented a tow dolly to tow my ranger back, got 45miles and it started spewing fluid at an ungodly rate so I put it on the tow dolly. After I got it back it was parked for about a week and I started it and no spewing! Wtf? Any ideas? Im not keeping the tranny in it I just want to understand whats going on.

Second part I found a 93 idi with a 5spd and I am wanting to know if I will have any issues putting that 5spd in my psd. I can pick up the whole truck for 800 so I want to move on it but dont want to buy it if the only reason im buying wont work out. Will that flywheel bolt to my crank? Is the input shaft correct? I know the bell housing bolt patterns are the same

Thanks in advance. I tried searching but couldnt find much to answer my exact question other than the bell housings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 09:19 PM

I'm pretty sure the idi zf5 will work but you have to use the psd clutch and fly wheel.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^^^ this

But keep in mind you will have to source a PCM for a manual or your truck will fuel improperly, but other than that everything will/should go smooth, good luck, and swap to a smf,

As far as why it keeps spewing/doesn't is a weird thing, mine used to only while towing and I added Lucas stop leak/tranny seal, yet to leak again
Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good call guys. I didnt even thick about auto/manual pcm. And ill have to find or buy a ps flywheel. I was gonna put a new clutch in it anyways. And ya I added not one but two different tranny stop leaks while I was stranded on the interstate. Luckily I was able to use my ranger to run to walmart. That didnt make a difference. Even still leaked the next day.

Will the idi throwout go to the ps clutch no problem you think?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

New clutch kit should include throwout bearing and pilot bearing. New fork would also be in order; IIRC, the newest one from Ford is an improvement over the original. When you go to the trouble of a tranny swap, it's NOT the time to cheap out on reusing parts.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. Ive already got a new flywheel and clutch kit on the was. Ill check on a new fork too. The manual pcm is the part im worried about finding
Old 08-03-2013, 05:12 PM

You can get around it by putting the mlps in N and ziptying it out of the way. That will get you on the road so when you do find a manual PCM you can switch it over. The only draw back is you will have to come up with something for reverse lights
Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 PM

You don't have to have a manual pcm the truck will run just fine with out it go to ford and get a good wireing diagram you have to splice 2 wires together and the truck will start right up no codes execpt the trans code from the auto. The idi trans will not work if you are going to the 13 in clutch it will have to be a trans from a 94-97

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.