Had a buzz and cyl contribution test done, what to fix? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Had a buzz and cyl contribution test done, what to fix?

Finally had some time to take my truck up to a reputable diesel shop and after doing a buzz test and cyl contribution they found a few codes.

When preforming the cyl contribution test the truck threw a P0281 Cylinder 7 Contribution/Balance Fault.

He also received a P1298 IDM Failure code as well.

My question is do you think replacing the #7 injector will cure the IDM failure or do you think they are two separate problems? The shop recommended just replacing the injector at this point but did not seem confident that it was related to IDM failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 02:06 PM

Just some back story of why I took it to the shop to have a diagnostic done. It seemed like it had a slight miss at idle but not all the time. No real drop in fuel economy or performance so I figured I would have it scanned for good measure.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:06 PM

Before throwing another injector at it, first check for a loose poppet screw under the injector solenoid. If it is loose, tighten it up, clear codes and see if anything pops back up. Cheers!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Before throwing another injector at it, first check for a loose poppet screw under the injector solenoid. If it is loose, tighten it up, clear codes and see if anything pops back up. Cheers!
Ok, thanks for the suggestion. Just debating if I need to put an injector in it and I have everything apart should I go ahead and do injector o-rings on the other 7 for good measure and also do some new glow plugs.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 AM

One other question. I was at the auto parts store ordering a new injector just in case I do in fact need to replace it after I do some more tests to confirm it is the injector. Anyway I naturally ordered the AA injector and when I was under the hood last night doing an ohms test on the UVCH I glanced at the sticker on the valve cover and it said AB on it does that indicate that I have the AB injectors? If I recall correctly AB was for California trucks right?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 AM

The sticker should say something about CA emissions on it. If it is a Cali truck, it should have a shunt and extra wiring on the Glowplug relay for the GP Monitoring circuit, and also a black disc (pulse damper) on the back end of the fuel pump. Cheers!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
The sticker should say something about CA emissions on it. If it is a Cali truck, it should have a shunt and extra wiring on the Glowplug relay for the GP Monitoring circuit, and also a black disc (pulse damper) on the back end of the fuel pump. Cheers!
Thanks Patrick. It doesn't say all that much about CA emission and it does not have the pulse damper on the back of the fuel pump so I think it still has the AA injectors in it. Anyway I ran an ohms test after work on the UVCH and it I got a 3.8 on one side of the plug and a 5.5 on the other. According to a post it should be less than 5.0 but according to the plug the 5.5 would be the #5 injector not the #7 at fault. Anyway I was going to pull the valve cover but apparently some mother ****** broke into my truck tool box and stole my second set of tools that had some wobbly sockets I needed to get the corner cover bolt out.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 AM

So finally after getting some new tools I was able to get the valve cover off last night and see what was going on. The #7 injector was not pumping any oil out the deflector. I ohms tested the harness again everything passed but I did notice 2 of the pins on the UVCH were burnt so I suppose I will be replacing those again. Is their any way to test the IDM to make sure it is bad before I go drop a load of money on a new one?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 AM

If the #7 injector was not pumping oil, I would pull the solenoid off (4 torx screws) and see if the poppet screw underneath is loose. If it is, try retightening it. It uses a #8 linehead bit, but a ground down 4mm socket will sometimes suffice. My #7 poppet screw loosened a couple of times on my 94. If the UVCH pins were burned, replace the gasket as well to avoid a high resistance connection and having to do it again. Usually you would test the IDM by putting it into someone else's PSD and see how it runs. Cheers!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
If the #7 injector was not pumping oil, I would pull the solenoid off (4 torx screws) and see if the poppet screw underneath is loose. If it is, try retightening it. It uses a #8 linehead bit, but a ground down 4mm socket will sometimes suffice. My #7 poppet screw loosened a couple of times on my 94. If the UVCH pins were burned, replace the gasket as well to avoid a high resistance connection and having to do it again. Usually you would test the IDM by putting it into someone else's PSD and see how it runs. Cheers!
I will check that tonight, thanks again Patrick. As far as putting the IDM in someone else's truck I dont have that option right now but my truck honestly does not run that bad even with the injector malfunctioning. No smoke, no real loss in power just has a slight miss when idling and possibly some light oil consumption but it does have a small leak so its tough to tell but the fuel bowl is clean and not black like it has oil in it. Ill check the poppet tonight and report back. What are the tale tale signs if the IDM was bad, I would imagine the truck would hardly run but please correct me if I am wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.