Truck Refusing to Start... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Refusing to Start...

Trucks a 1996 F250, has 260k on it. Have put 160k on it myself. I changed fuel system over to electric with a SD fuel pump and Racor fuel filter and regulated return system. The IDM was changed 2yrs ago. I recently switched out the CPS 2yrs ago. The truck has sat for 1.5yrs with no more than 6-700 miles put on it in that time.
Recently I had to have it shipped down from Portland Oregon, to my new station near Camp Pendleton California due to its inability to start.
The truck died on the driver on his way down to California.
To break down the issues:
Truck will crank but won't turn over without a shot of ether.
Batteries hold charge, but battery light on dash stays lit before and during cranking.
I have 60psi to fuel regulator on top of engine, psi drops to 50 when I crank engine.
I pulled out chip and changed CPS but no luck, tach just flutters up to about 200rpm when cranking.
Having the ICP plugged in and not doesn't make a difference.
I can't read any codes due to not having a scanner. (Would love to get one but I don't have the 5k for a snap on and If I do spend a lot of money on one Is like to get one that can read and delete codes on my 2010 jetta and 2008 Honda too).
All the fuses are good, unsure of how to check relays.
Temps 100 degrees usually so I doubt its the glow plugs.

I'd like to get this fixed like asap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

If the batteries are not crisp the truck won't fire plane and simple. Borrow a battery charger and leave it on over night to see what happens. If the alternator went out on the way down here then the truck was operating on the batteries only till they could do no more. Deep cycling a batt. like that normally damages them to the point of not getting to a good charge level again.

You do not need a $5k Snap-On scanner to work these trucks, all you need is this (spending $500 on the latest programmable cartridge will allow it to be used on most any current vehicle to 2010):

Snap on Diagnostic Scanner MT2500 Cables Keys Connectors Cartridges | eBay

Your post should be selling batteries out of the motor pool cheap.

Last edited by BigFuel; 07-30-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Battery charger says batteries are holding at 100%. What else does the battery light mean? The truck is able to crank which I would assume means the batteries arent the problem, the trucks not getting any fuel, so I'm wondering what within the HPOP and fuel system would cause a lack of fuel...
I know im getting fuel pressure to the heads, I know the fuel is clean, and filter is good, pump working, CPS is working.
What are the symptoms of a bad ICP?
symptoms of a bad IPR?
Thought it might be the UVCH however the whole truck just died, not just a bank of cylinders, which has happened to me before...
Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Two thoughts come to mind:
IPR; Injection Pressure Regulator Valve sticking, located in the vallet on the HPOP, or it's sensor.
and
IDM Injector Drive Module located on the driver's side fender. Remove the IDM and shake it. Listen for water sloshing. If so, replace it.
Dick
Old 08-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I replaced the IPR and ICP. Truck started smoking better but still no start, did Ohm test on the wiring harness at the IDM plug, came up showing the left bank and right bank of injectors had too much resistance, so I pulled the valve cover harness plugs and found them torched. So now I'm currently working on replacing the plugs an harness along with fresh glow plugs and hopefully that'll work.
There was however a lot of oil under the covers solo that's a bit bafeling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.