White smoke; I've replaced everything! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke; I've replaced everything!

A couple months back I installed Stage 2's from Rosewood, TE500 HPOP, efuel, TW tunes, and a few other misc things like glow plugs, ICP,IPR,CPS, ect. I can't get it to stop blowing white smoke. I've put just over 800 miles on the truck since I've installed everything and i thought maybe it was just air in the lines at first but that should of went away 700 miles ago. When it's idling it blows white smoke, if I rev it up it blows white smoke (but then it turns to all black), when driving it blows white smoke. It's a light haze most of the time but sometimes when taking off it'll blow a thick puff. It smells like fuel, not coolant. I've pulled the chip out thinking maybe it was something with tuning because I had it burned for a D66 turbo but I'm still running stock, I was planning on getting it when I installed the injectors and everything but I had other things come up. It will it will pour black smoke but there's usually a little but of white smoke right before the black. I don't know what it could be. I have blow by but I don't think that's it. I'm almost to the point of pulling the motor and rebuilding it. Anything I'm missing?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

determine if its widespread or just a cylinder, run it and unplug the valve cover connectors one at a time and see if it stops smoking, that will narrow it down to 2 cylinders. did it do it before you did all the work?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:47 AM

I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens. It did it before I put new injectors in it but I had a bad injector. I fixed the bad one and it quit. A few weeks later I put stage 2's in it and it started doing it again.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Maybe bad fuel pressure killing your injectors?

Old 09-12-2013, 03:29 PM

Sorry for the late response, I haven't had a chance to mess with my truck in a while... Work, new baby, and getting ready for hunting season has kept me busy. So today I finally had a chance to start the truck and unplug the uvch one at a time to see which cylinder is causing the white smoke. As soon as I unplugged the one that runs the #2&4 injectors the smoked stopped. It started raining on me so I won't be able to pull the valve cover today to narrow it down to one cylinder but I will this weekend.

So what am I looking at? Either bad rings or a hole in the piston? Could it be better news than that maybe? the white smoke smells like fuel not coolant. It did it before the new injectors but stopped for a little while so I don't think it's a bad oring, probably cracked piston with my luck.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Bent or cracked valve in that cylinder is another possibility. Just a WAG, but the injector might not be atomizing the fuel properly for it to combust on compression. Once you narrow it down to #2 or 4, you might try swapping the injectors to see if the problem moves. Compression test and leakdown test might also shed some light.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to do a compression test sometime this weekend. If the compression is good I'll try swapping injectors to see what happens. If I can get my hands on a leak down tester I'll do that too, if not I'll buy one and do it when I get it.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Leakdown tester doesn't have to be anything special. Just use the adapter that you use for the compression test, put that piston at TDC between the compression and power strokes (both valves should be closed), and hook up compressed air to the adapter. As you air it up, you should hear it escaping through the intake, or the exhaust, or into the crankcase, or possibly an adjacent combustion chamber. You can get a fancy leakdown _rate_ tester, but really what you want to know, and of course this is only once you determine a loss of compression in that cylinder, is what's the cause of the loss (intake valve, exhaust valve, ring, etc....).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.