I feel dumb, and frustrated!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question I feel dumb, and frustrated!!!

Hey folks, I hope one of you know what needs to be done and the library is closed to study chilton. I have a '97 F-250 7.3l powerstroke, and the starter is shot. My problem is that I can't get the starter removed; there are 3 mounting bolts and 3 nuts for wiring. One of the mounting bolts seems impossible to remove. It almost looks like I need to take out the header or find a new tool (that I can't think of) in order to to move socket, or wrench. it is tight between frame and header. I am going at it from the bottom under the truck, seems to be the only way to access the starter. Does any one know what I am doing wrong, or what I need to do? Hope there is a smart mechanic that knows how to direct me. My feer is having to take it to the shop and then be told I need new heads and manifold, and etc. Thanks alot guys, all help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am not too familiar with the 7.3's but I have seen people do it with nothing more than a swivel socket... Here's a bump for someone with actual experience to chime in
Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to justafarmtruck
ummm if i remmember right it can be done with normal tools just tight work and its slow jsut keep at it and u should be able to get it off. good luck!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Infidel

Can you post a pic? I have taken mine off with just a socket set.
Craig
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 AM

To get the top bolt on mine off I had to use a bunch of extensions to put the ratchet all the way in front of the fan belt. It was not a straight shot but close enough to get it out. Once out it never ever will be put back in by me! Most of the Powerstroke starters only have 2 bolt holes but the Delco brand units have the 3rd ear on top. Just 2 bolts has worked fine for 2 years now.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

a swivel socket and an air ratchet helped me. It was off in under 5 minutes. Before then i used a wrench...30 mins later i got it off.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Mine went out in a buddies field, ” socket set with metric sockets and she came right out and all 3 bolts went right back in. I remember having to use two extensions to get the right length to clear the starter and not hit the frame. The 97 may be different, it was tight but not too bad. I have done it at the house with a 3/8 air ratchet and extension and swivel which is much easier.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
To get that top starter bolt off you need a LONG extention and possibly a long handled socket wrench to get the leverage on the bolt. It IS a PITA. Took me the better part of 2 hrs to get that one off the first time. If I remember right, it's a 15mm socket....maybe a 13mm. Can't remember 100%. Though it's the same as the others. I tried to come in through the wheel well too and that wasn't working. You need at least a 6" or longer extention to get in there....and then it's a PITA b/c there isn't much room to rotate the socket. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanx guys, I knew this was the place to come, I amy need to get creative like you say, I think I still will stop by to look at chilton to see if I am missing something. I appreciate all your comments and suggestions. Sure would rather be fishing that bustin' knuckles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.