OBS AC blows cold but a lot of noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS AC blows cold but a lot of noise

I think my AC compressor clutch is smoked. Well not the clutch but the bearings holding the pulley on the AC compressor. A few days ago going down the highway I could smell burning rubber with the AC on. A while after it happened again. Then my motor periodically sounded a little like bearings in a tin can, then much worse. Then my truck barely started, very slow crank with lots of "bearings in can" sound until I kicked on the AC which was fine.

Today I removed the clutch from the front of the AC compressor to see this.

Do I need a new AC compressor or can I just replace the entire clutch? I don't use AC frequently but it would be nice.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You should be able to just replace the clutch. Assuming there is no other damage.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 977300 View Post
You should be able to just replace the clutch. Assuming there is no other damage.
Thanks for the advice. I heard AC shops suggest replacing the compressor, dryer, condenser, axles, transmission .....

Maybe that was an exaggeration.

Tomorrow a new clutch assembly will be in and installed.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM

New clutch assembly with pulley was the solution for my noises. Turns out when the bearings fails like mine did the pulley seizes. I assumed that could happen but wasn't looking for it. Easy to replace with the right tools. Here is what I did, hopefully it helps somebody.

1. buy a new clutch assembly ($115 with electro-magnet, shims, pulley, and instructions)
2. when you pick the part up at your local parts store pickup a 3-arm gear puller (usually rent) Just in case yours is stubborn like mine was. You will also need a feeler gauge, see if the store rents one of those if you don't have one.
To remove the pulley you need to remove the drive belt with an 18mm socket and breaker bar, remove a few 10mm bolts, and a snap ring so make sure you have the tools to do that.
3. remove the bolt in the center of your ac compressor clutch (10mm) by turning the key to ON with AC ON to stop the compressor from rotating
4. with the key OFF remove the outer compressor clutch by sliding it out, watch for the little washer in there we will refer to a shim later
5. remove tension on the drive belt by using a breaker bar and an 18mm socket on the tensioner pulley just below the alternator
6. slip the belt off a pulley and carefully release tension on drive belt tensioner
7. remove snap ring in middle of compressor clutch assembly
8. slide pulley off
8.1. mine wasn't coming off without a gear puller. be aware that simply putting the gear puller against the AC drive shaft is going to damage the unit. Here is what I did
8.2. remove the 4 10mm bolts securing the AC compressor to the engine
8.3. carefully lift the AC compressor slightly to afford an angle to access the entire front of the pull then find a socket that will barely fit through the center of the new clutch assembly and place that over the end of the AC shaft. AC hoses are fragile so be careful.
8.4. use the gear puller braced again the socket (to no apply pressure to the AC shaft) to gently extract the pulley off the compressor. have a friend hold the compressor from turning and breaking your hoses or worse. remove the pulley
8.5. reinstall 4 bolts to secure AC compressor to engine, torque to spec
9. use a socket and gear puller to pull the pressfit magnet off the AC compressor after disconnecting the electrical connector. I used the gear puller with only two arms for this. Doesn't take much.
10. clean the contact areas well and reassemble. I used a rubber mallet and my old clutch assembly outside in to gently tap the magnet assembly back on then connect electrical connection
11. slide the new clutch assembly on
12. secure with snap ring
13. sort the washers (many should come with new clutch assembly) by thickness
14. with the outer clutch in hand, shiny side up, put the middle most shim in the outer clutch in the splined center where it will meet the AS drive shaft
15. slide the retaining bolt through from below to secure it
16. start the bolt threads on the AC shaft and tighten to torque (snugly but not TIGHT it will break)
17. check air gap between the inner and outer clutch for 0.018" and 0.030"
18. if your gap is above, use the smaller shim. if below use the bigger shim
19. turn the key to ON and make sure the bolt on the AC unit is secured
20. put the drive belt back on
21. double check for loose tools in engine compartment and belt alignment
22. with AC off start motor, should sound normal
23. after checking engine compartment for signs of improper install, rev engine to 2500 RPM and cycle AC to normal for 5 seconds then to vent for 5 seconds 50 times (about 5 minutes) to break in clutch assembly. I did this while driving with the transmission in 2nd.

By this point you should have cold air, all your fingers, and no horrible noises coming from your AC. If you still have problems, good luck! I have been there before too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ac compressor clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.