7.3 Lopeing Idle warm or cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Lopeing Idle warm or cold

Hey guys. Just picked up a 95 Automatic Powerstroke. Clean rust free Southern truck with 195000 miles on it. Brand new E4OD Trans with 12000 mile warrenty. The issue is when i start the motor warm or cold the motor will lope for 3-5 seconds. after this it will smooth out but the engine feels like it has a slight miss. not bad. but enough to shake the cab. anything above idle runs great with no surging, missing, or anything else. the truck actually feels like it has more power than it should. things that have been checked are injector buzz test passed, Contribution test passed with flying colors, No codes or CEL's. I tried starting the truck with the ICP disconnected and it still does it. I tried starting in Neutral to rule out the transmission range selector and it still does it. The truck and motor are very clean and were previously owned by a very respectable Diesel shop here in town. They tell me that some motors do it. some dont. its just something to live with. im not sure i believe this and would like to fix it if at all possible. does anybody have any ideas??? Engine Oil has 1000 miles on it and is 15-40w. Not sure what else to check and have limited diagnostics tools on hand. i am technically inclined and used to own a 6.0 and was balls deep many times in it. any ideas would be great. It Does the EXACT same thing as the video below.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM
BANNED by Kris

Normal for me. It's most likely your glow plug system (watch the video and see that on the alt/batt gauge as you cycled the key the Batt showed one level that almost immediately the gauge reads lower. This is the GP relay turning on). On startup whether hot or cold your truck will fire the glow plugs for a test for a couple seconds. This test is really hard on the batteries and alternator and as such boggs the engine down a little bit. By watching your Alt. gauge during the video you might want to have your batteries and the alternator checked now anyway. The needle didn't go up at the end of the GP test as much as I like to see.

Last edited by BigFuel; 07-01-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Mine does that too, im gonna pick up some new batteries tonight and see if that helps at all. Otherwise id say its pretty normal for an 18 year old truck.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:50 AM

I can't remember if there are any folks left on here that had one of the TEE5 programs in their 95 PSDs. I'm not sure if these had the lope or not (I know that's very helpful). They tended to have what seemed like good power, so much so that Ford started repregramming them when the trucks were brought in for service (unbeknownst to the owners!). The guess at the time was to avoid having transmission issues. Of course the owners weren't real happy with the resulting (what seemed like it anyway) performance loss. Do you know what PCM code you are running? Any of you old-timers out there care to comment? Cheers!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM

Its not the Batteries. everything runs good. The lope at startup doesnt bug me one bit. but the lopey idle is irritating and shakes the whole cab including me. it defineatly FEELS like an injector is out. One new detail that started tonight tho is i started the truck up and let it idle for 15 minutes while i bull****ed with some coworkers after work. temp outside was 90 degrees. no smoke on startup. no smoke at idle. when i went to leave i pulled on to the road and gave it a small amount of throttle and it smoked white for about 100 feet and then quit. i tried replicating it with some full throttle runs and got nothing. im now wondering if it IS in fact an injector. or if the UVCH's can cause an injector to smoke. not sure what it was. first time its done it.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:53 PM
BANNED by Kris

How "just picked up" the truck? Didn't you have torrential rain there last week or was that a little more south of you?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Bought the truck recently. last week as a matter of fact. and no. it was more east of me. we got a lil bit. but not a ton. and i bought the truck AFTER the rain. it wasnt driven through the rain storm
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 PM
BANNED by Kris

K. The IDMs in our truck where sealed 15-18 years ago. By now the seal is probably shot and water can build up in it causing all kinds of issues including stutters to completely frying the IDM. Another thought is to pull the Garrett fix and order a IPR rebuild kit. If its never been cleaned then its due. Also pull the FPR apart and clean it out. Can be gummed up too keeping fuel pressure from where it needs to be.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 PM

I'm having the same exact issue with the lope start and shake at idle. also having a shake/miss feeling at 1100rpm and 1600rpm in park. I've checked everything without any luck.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:47 PM

Mine does it too. It might be something the 7.3 eventually gets and you'll just have to live with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.