Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help! Truck ran out of fuel..

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  BBslider001 
#1 ·
So i'm pretty new to the diesel world..
but, I've heard its pretty bad to let a diesel run out of fuel..

The truck was pretty low on fuel, on both tanks, had it running on the front.
I started it up to let the truck cool off on the inside (This dang Texas humidity and heat :tard: ) then went back inside for 5 minutes..
I came back outside and the truck was off, like it died or something.
I put about 5 gallons of fuel in and still nothing.
Before I put the fuel in, the truck did fire up but kinda bogged out.

So what should I do? I really don't wanna get this thing towed.
Also about a month ago I had the fuel pump replaced due to a leak so its basically new.. If that helps..
I've been reading stuff about adding fuel to the fuel bowl, filter etc..
Also using WD-40 somewhere..
I have no idea where the bowl or filter is.. :look:

Help a rookie out!

Thanks guys

See less See more
#4 ·
NO WD40 or anything. You have air in the lines, you need to crank until you get the air out since your pump runs off your camshaft.
I'd put more than just 5gals in the tank to make sure you don't keep pumping air.
You could pull off your fuel filter, fill it with diesel, and put the filter back in and try that a few time to help it run half way until it gets the air out.

#7 ·
Also purge the air in the shrader valve too, it should have a cap on it rite next to the bowl

#9 ·
You won't find "Powerstroke" on the engine cover. But it's under there anyway. Large cylindrical thing, closest to the front, with a cap. Unscrew and pour some fuel into it. If you have the kind of filter that stays attached to the cap when you remove it, don't fill the bowl all the way, as the filter will displace it and make it spill out when you replace it.

(Excuse me saying this, but our trucks have dual tanks for the precise purpose of preventing this from happening....)

#12 ·
I have a 96 E-350 Van and getting to the fuel filter in the valley is a real bear. Additionally the rod mechanism for draining water out of the bowl is missing.
So,
I'm installing a Racor diesel fuel filter on the frame and an electric lift pump forward of that filter.
Hopefully I can service the Racor and prolong the time for servicing the original filter.
Dick

#13 · (Edited)
Prolly should pretty educated on your truck before you drive it much more :look: Learn where the necessary parts are located. When would you have changed your filter if you don't even know where the bowl is? Find out where all of your filters are located, what kind of fluids it takes, change intervals, etc...and don't run it out of fuel! Just sayin'....stick around, you'll learn a lot from these guys here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.