Speedometer jumping - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Speedometer jumping

I just picked up a 95 7.3 and am starting to fix all the little things and one is the speedometer jumps at high speeds thus screwing with the cruise, My 95 Bronco did the same thing and reading some threads others have the same problem. Im new to the OBS so please if someone could explain how to fix this please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Chapter Director

Bump anyone?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VSS - vehicle speed sensor - in the rear diff is the prime suspect. May also be the wiring to it, or the tone ring on the diff that it interfaces with. Any idea how old the diff fluid is?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
VSS - vehicle speed sensor - in the rear diff is the prime suspect. May also be the wiring to it, or the tone ring on the diff that it interfaces with. Any idea how old the diff fluid is?
probably about as old as the truck. Im in the process of changing all the fluids. When im in there ill replace the vss and take a look at the wiring and tone ring(thats just a small gear that engages the differential gears right?)
Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
And when the vehicle speed sensor doesn't work, you will end up with a new speedometer/odometer like I did. My problem was intermittent, and I thought the VSS fixed it, at least for a couple hours. The speedometer needle is powered by a little motor. On my truck, there must have been a short somewhere, because it worked a few times to smack the dash. It only worked a few times. You can go to a junkyard and pull one out fairly easily, lots of screws and three harnesses to disconnect on the gauge cluster, but easy enough to do. Go slow or you'll break the clear cover like I did. DOH!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodturner Nate View Post
And when the vehicle speed sensor doesn't work, you will end up with a new speedometer/odometer like I did. My problem was intermittent, and I thought the VSS fixed it, at least for a couple hours. The speedometer needle is powered by a little motor. On my truck, there must have been a short somewhere, because it worked a few times to smack the dash. It only worked a few times. You can go to a junkyard and pull one out fairly easily, lots of screws and three harnesses to disconnect on the gauge cluster, but easy enough to do. Go slow or you'll break the clear cover like I did. DOH!
Well maybe ill do that first to see if that alleviates my problems since ill be at the junkyard probably next weekend.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Easiest way that fixes most is just pull the plug off the top of the rear clean it and check, then while your changing the diff fluid inspect the tone ring if your problem persists, then go into the harder stuff listed
Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Easiest way that fixes most is just pull the plug off the top of the rear clean it and check, then while your changing the diff fluid inspect the tone ring if your problem persists, then go into the harder stuff listed
Sounds good will do I should just PM you about my problems instead of mucking up the threads
Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The way the system works is there is a tone ring attached to the carrier in the rear, the VSS counts the teeth and sends a square wave signal to the front. The wire is split to the PSOM and RABS. The PSOM converts the signal to sign wave and sends it to your PCM which controls the trans if you have a auto.

The VSS is the most common cause however the PSOM is a close second. The good thing about the PSOM is you can get one from any F-150, F-250, F-350 or Bronco from a similar year and just swap that section of the cluster. If you have access to a oscilloscope, you can watch the signal and see where the issue is. In my case it ended up being the RABS unit which I just left unplugged.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Well about 3 months later i finally got around to doing this and surprisingly it was actually my problem. The speedometer works great now. Still has a slight twitch at high speeds but not like going up and down 10mph at every bump so i will worry about the tone ring when i change diff fluid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.