Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Can icp loose pressure out of the plug in

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  nightofstars 
#1 ·
My truck's been acting wierd lately and had a choppy idle while under load and you try to run it at wot and just bog's down, my icp has had oil in the plug for about 2 years ever s.ince ive had it could it be lossing pressure?

#2 ·
I doubt it would be losing significant pressure (at least system wise ... there would be oil everywhere), but if there is oil in the plug the ICP should probably be replaced. Cheers!

#3 ·
Ditto that. I replaced mine last year after finding oil in the plug. I think they must do that over time; mine was 15yrs old at least. But, like Patrick said, there would be oil EVERYWHERE. Think 2000+ psi oil everywhere.

#4 ·
Check the nut on the IPR, make sure it's tight. When i did my ICP sensor, the IPR connector was corroded b/c of spilled diesel--the fuel bowl had a leak and corroded the connector. I had to replace the connector itself--you can get a pigtail (connector with a short length of wire--cut out old & put in new) cheaply from an international dealer. I think it was about half what the ford part cost.

#5 ·
Could a bad injector control pressure sensor set off all these other codes (our icp sensor has oil in it, just found out a moment ago by someone looking):

P1280, P0237, P1280, P1271, P1272, P1273, P1274, P0476, P0237?

Or, is some of this definitely related to bad injectors & other things also? I keep getting contradictory incomplete explanations so fragmented it's hard to know where to start.

Thank you.

#6 ·
nightofstars, It's hard to say since we have no info on your truck and any mods that may have been done to it. If you have a chip, I would remove it and clear codes. P1280 could be due to the ICP. The P1271-1274 could be bad UVCH's, IDM, or even wiring between IDM and injectors. If it was me, I would probably check the resistances of the injector solenoids first from the valvecover gasket connections and then from the IDM connector. Cheers!

#7 · (Edited)
Diagnostic Trouble Codes P1280, P1271-P1274, P0237 (manifold air pressure sensor)

I was wondering if you could tell me what the "U" stands for in UVCH's ("U" in "valve cover harness"?), & what is the IDM?

Also, the code P0237 has to do with something around the MAP sensor (manifold air pressure sensor). Does anyone have any ideas around things that can go wrong around that if replacing the MAP sensor & resetting the codes doesn't change the diagnostic trouble code for that?

My F250 1995 7.3 liter Powerstroke doesn't have a chip or modifications done to it. Thank you for the valuable information on checking the resistances of the injector solenoids from the valvecover gasket connections & codes Patrick Feeley. I'm thinking maybe the mechanic didn't reinstall the injectors properly in addition to the ICP sensor having oil in it may have a little to do with this. Almost all the injectors have been recently replaced & the gaskets with the glow plug connectors on it, so it seems kind of bizarre all this is going on.

#8 ·
The "U" stands for "Under" (so UVCH is Under ValveCover Harness). There is a UVCH for 2 injectors under the valvecovers (so 4 UVCHs per engine) on the 94-97 trucks. The IDM is the Injector Driver Module which supplies the high voltage DC needed to cause the actuation of the injectors when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) commands it. The injectors are Hydraulically-actuated Electronically-controlled Unit Injectors (HEUI). I don't have my diagnostic manual for the MAP code to give a thoughtful answer on that (hopefully someone will chime in here). Cheers!

#9 ·
Thank you....

Thank you for the valuable information. There's so much to a truck, several parts in the injector system alone, it's amazing someone engineered all this to put one together to work. I've learned about a lot of new things here that are GREATLY helping with trouble shooting. I think some things around the injector system may have aged out although other things are new, so it gives a lot to check out & work on where there were many things not understood before your response post. Thank you very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.