New IDM just blew again - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry New IDM just blew again

So I was riding to the local walmart to get a new radio for the truck because the buttons on this one don't work very well and the truck shutoff like a light switch again. Exact same thing that was happening before my idm blew about 2 days ago.

So I pulled up the wiring harness test at: http://www.gbreman.com/docs/techbull...eplacement.pdf

and all 3 test came out perfect, my first test reading 2.9 ohms on every pin. So theoretically if all test pass then I just got a bad IDM from napa? I did look around for bare wires that would make it ground out but didn't see any.

Luckily napa has a 1 year warranty on these and they're letting me bring it in under warranty. I just don't want to blow another for some underlying reason that I'm not seeing and then napa not be so nice. Also its not that fun to be stranded. Any help/advice would be nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to jimhuntertx
It sounds like a CPS went out on you. My truck did the same thing last week and it was the CPS. I replaced it and the truck started back up. They only cost about $25 at ford and its worth it to replace it with factory sensor. Give it a try and if that doesn't fix it you now have a back up when it does go out.

Jim
Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscolem View Post
So I was riding to the local walmart to get a new radio for the truck because the buttons on this one don't work very well and the truck shutoff like a light switch again. Exact same thing that was happening before my idm blew about 2 days ago.

So I pulled up the wiring harness test at: http://www.gbreman.com/docs/techbull...eplacement.pdf

and all 3 test came out perfect, my first test reading 2.9 ohms on every pin. So theoretically if all test pass then I just got a bad IDM from napa? I did look around for bare wires that would make it ground out but didn't see any.

Luckily napa has a 1 year warranty on these and they're letting me bring it in under warranty. I just don't want to blow another for some underlying reason that I'm not seeing and then napa not be so nice. Also its not that fun to be stranded. Any help/advice would be nice
Hello Yall! First post here, long time lurker..

Cscolem.. What was the outcome? Did you end up replacing the IDM?

Not to derail... I had a similar event happen on Monday while on the highway. Truck just shut off as if i turned the key off. I replaced the CPS just for @#$% & giggles. Still a no go... Pulled the IDM, noticed its full of water. If it isn't the IDM, im not sure how its functioning with water in it... I know its not uncommon for them to have water in them but its just very odd how they are able to function while having fluid swishing around the electronics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you have water in it then the idm is most likely gone.

My scenario ended up me jumping to conclusions thinking my idm blew again and it didn't. I got fuel on the IPR harness and it got melted and caused the IPR to stick open.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscolem View Post
If you have water in it then the idm is most likely gone.

My scenario ended up me jumping to conclusions thinking my idm blew again and it didn't. I got fuel on the IPR harness and it got melted and caused the IPR to stick open.
Well that's good.. At least your not having a constant idm issue... But fuel melting the electrical lines? Hmmm... Interesting, not to be a hypochondriac but, just had my fuel lines along with my fuel pump replaced. My entire engine valley had been flooded for years. Im wondering if im going to run into that issue.

Also, at the time my truck died I had that silly ICP mod done with a 15k resistor in the ICP, which is what led me to finding out about the water in the IDM. So... Im just wondering whether its the water in the IDM, maybe i have melted IPR wires, or something that the ICP mod might of screwed up. I would of originally mentioned the mod but didn't want to confuse thought processes. Maybe its just a coincidence the IDM went out while having the ICP mod done. I did just put the truck back on the road after sitting for a few years so maybe all the bugs are comming back out of the woodwork.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 AM

It's always a good idea to check on the condition of the fuel bowl wiring harness (which contains the IPR wiring too) on an OBS truck. Leaking diesel wreaks havoc with the wiring insulation, just turning it too goo. Once that happens the wires can short causing all kinds of problems. Cheers!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checking wiring as we speak. Everything kinda looks the same as it always has.. Dirty & grimy. Are you suggesting I pull the wire shrouds off & check em' out even though I definitely had water in the idm?

Tell me what you think.. The truck was obviously running with water in the IDM right, if the reason it died out like someone flipped a switch was the water causing a quick short, what if the water was gone & everything was all dried out? Do you think it would work? I took out the vent plug & then tossed the IDM in the oven @ 275 for about an hour & a half, flipping it on different ends every 20 mins or so. The thing is bone dry now. Going to try it anyways for ****s & giggles. Maybe I'll get lucky... Maybe im just a idiot...LOL.

I figured id try that silly approach because I do plan on getting a junk yard unit but all the yards that have them close @ 5 & the traffic after work keeps me from getting there in time. I've tried to go twice now! What a PITA this has become.!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 PM

I would check the fB wiring if you think its the problem. You could always disconnect the harness on the passenger side of the fuel bowl and check the wires for possible shorts. Cheers!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
I would check the fB wiring if you think its the problem. You could always disconnect the harness on the passenger side of the fuel bowl and check the wires for possible shorts. Cheers!
Just a quick update.. Nothing has changed much but have gotten a scanner & its throwing all sorts of electrical type of codes. Keep getting the same 2 electrical related ones & a cps one. The cps isn't code isnt every time I scan it thought, it shows up intermittently as the read out suggests.New IDM just blew again-1372839876191.jpg

Just got this scanner soo im still getting use to the functions, im hoping there is more to the KOEO end of the diagnostics then what I've figured out so far.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Cylinder Identification (CID)

Is there oil in the ICP plug? More likely the fuel bowl was leaking for some time and melted the insulation off some of the main wiring harness under/near the fuel bowl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.