WTS light flickering? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WTS light flickering?

Ok, I thought this was a strange unique issue until I performed a search on here today: wts light flickers contstantly and no start

Anyway, my truck started this a few weeks ago but it wasn't so bad. I could cycle the key off and on a few times and the glow plug relay would hold in and the truck would fire off fine. I even swapped a couple of the relays under the hood and thought that was it, it at least seemed to help anyway. So this morning I was going to drive it to work (not my daily driver anymore) and it starts the flickering, after a few cycles the WTS light holds and she fires up fine. I realized I forgot something in the house so as I was going back to the door it dies, sounded like someone just cut off the key. Now, the WTS light will ONLY flicker, engine turns over fine, no start. I swapped different relays around and no change. I've read that the PCM controls the GPR, isn't this where the performance chips are installed or is that the IDM module?

I was also reading that some people experienced this issue after changing programming. So I guess my first line of attack will be to remove the old chip that was in the truck when I got it a few years back and see if this corrects the issue. If not, then I guess I'll replace all the relays under the hood. After that I guess checking wiring connections?

At any rate, I was really optimistic as to finding someone that has had a similiar issue and found the problem on here, but there seems to be a bunch of threads with no answers to them. I hope mine is different .

I WILL fix it and post up what I find. Thanks in advance for any help. I haven't done anything to it in a few years and have forgotten some of the terms and acronyms since it hasn't given me any trouble in so long. HA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM

Yeah, "revert to stock" is always a good starting point (no pun intended...). But this sounds like a voltage issue. Either weak batteries, or corroded/dirty battery/ground connections. It might be interesting to disconnect the GPR, to see if that allows the WTS light to stay on steady. That wouldn't necessarily indicate the GPR is at fault, it only means that without the additional electrical load of the GPR, the batteries can power up the PCM properly. You'd still have to determine, then, what's pulling the voltage down.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Yeah, "revert to stock" is always a good starting point (no pun intended...). But this sounds like a voltage issue. Either weak batteries, or corroded/dirty battery/ground connections. It might be interesting to disconnect the GPR, to see if that allows the WTS light to stay on steady. That wouldn't necessarily indicate the GPR is at fault, it only means that without the additional electrical load of the GPR, the batteries can power up the PCM properly. You'd still have to determine, then, what's pulling the voltage down.
Good idea taking the GPR load out of the circuit. Thanks. I will add that as my 2nd action.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:01 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Remove the chip. I had one in mine that was causing that problem. I removed it, and it starts just fine.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgg93 View Post
Remove the chip. I had one in mine that was causing that problem. I removed it, and it starts just fine.
You don't know how glad I am to read your comment!! ha!

I was hoping that it was just the chip, I actually have a programmer I could put on it if it is just the chip. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:10 PM

It was just the chip! Praise God! I kept my old hypertech programmer I put on it and it runs great!

I even re-installed the chip to make sure it wasn't just a bad connection.

Hope this helps somebody else down the road.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re-Installing my chip only lead to the return of the no-start. I need to be sending it off to Tony Wildman for a re-burn. Something got whacky in there, and I'm not sure exactly what it was. But, the transmission is tore out of it anyway so I've got a good bit of work before it runs again anyway.

sgg
Old 06-06-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgg93 View Post
Re-Installing my chip only lead to the return of the no-start. I need to be sending it off to Tony Wildman for a re-burn. Something got whacky in there, and I'm not sure exactly what it was. But, the transmission is tore out of it anyway so I've got a good bit of work before it runs again anyway.

sgg
Oh yeah, when I re-installed the chip the problem returned with it. I was just saying I was verifying that it was definitely the chip and not just a bad connection. I am so happy with it now, I don't know why I never put the programmer on it and took the chip out to start with. I think the chip has been going out for some time now. It runs smoother than ever and the increased shift firmness is a really good bonus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.