97 Ford oil leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 Ford oil leak

I have a 1997 F250 Powerstroke 7.3 I have been fighting a oil leak which is coming down from the back of the motor and runs down the right side of the motor by the oil filter, I have installed all new oil rings on the turbo base and installed new valve cover gaskets and still have the same problem, can anyone help or have any suggestions about this.

Thanks dboo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Banned

clean it very thourogly and look at the high pressure oil pump. There will be two lines coming off the drivers side of it, and also a 18 or 19mm plug on the back. all three of these are common leak points
Old 09-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

SSM 14455
ANNOUNCEMENT OF NEW SERVICE CYLINDER HEAD OIL PLUG. SOME 1994-1999 7.3L EQUIPPED F-250-550 @1995-1999 E-SERIES MAY EXHIBIT AN OIL LEAK FROM THE FRONT OR REAR CYLINDER HEAD OIL SUPPLY OIL END PLUGS. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY A DETERIORATED OR DAMAGED END PLUG O-RING. THIS CONDITION MAY BE SERVICED By INSTALLING UPDATED #1827535-C91 END PLUGS. SEAL PLUGS WITH LOCTITE #11747 THREAD SEALER OR EDAZ-19554-A THREADLOCK MD TORQUE TO 60 LB FT. INSPECT THE THREADS IN THE CYLINDER HEAD FOR BURRS OR SHARP EDGES AND CLEAN THREADS WITH EMERY OR CROCUS CLOTH BEFORE INSTALLATION. yeah check that plug 20 dollars at your local international dealership.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil Rail Plug Removal

On removing the Rail Oil Plug with the 1/2" square insert, I'm having trouble getting it to break free, are these plug right or left hand threads, everthing I can find on it doesn't clearly state I 'm thinking it should be standard right hand thread, and if there is some special tool or any suggestions on the how to remove them please reply.

Thanks deboo
Old 12-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

just use a breaker bar righty tighty lefty loosy . Put the 1/2in drive in and turn shouldnt be to hard with a bit of leverage from the bar.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:55 AM

I have the same problem too! Have had sorry mechs say they cant find it..

I think they are lazy. Can anyone post a diagram of where to look for these plugs? or a manual? I have checked all threads and the links are dead. PLZ and Thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 04:51 PM

I know old thread but I think I have a leak coming from the one behind the alternator. Does the alternator and entire bracket have to come off to replace it? is there a good write up on how to get to it and replace it?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil Leak

My Oil Leak was the back Oil Galley plugs located at the end of the heads, the passenger side came right out, the drivers side I had to drill a hole thru the fire wall in order to use a 1/2" impact to get it out, by them from International they are cheaper than Ford half the price.

Dboo
Old 06-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the bracket has to come off. if you have to do the rear ones, thats gonna be a pita.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 PM

The bracket LOOKS pretty simple to get off. Are there torque specs for the bolts on the bracket or just do it the German way, gudentite? I just got the truck a few weeks ago and need to pick a repair manual. Any recommendations fro service manuals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.