Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

p1212 touble code

13K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Ignorance 
#1 ·
Hello all is there anyone familiar with the p1212 code?? I've replace the crank sensor, fuel pump, ipr valve, and did the oil change on it, the truck is also idling like its cammed and when its col it starts up a lil slow but it fires up. but when its warmed up it cranks for a while before it starts. I would think its the oil pump trying to build presser to start it but im not all the way sure. the truck has 270,000 miles on it

Advice would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
do you have a way to monitor icp pressure and ipr duty cycle?

did you check the wires going to the ipr valve?

#6 ·
Does it smooth out if you remove the harness from the ICP?

#8 ·
If you unplug the ICP while the engine is running rough the PCM will assume a standard value for the ICP and the engine should go from rough to smooth. If it does then yes it is _probably_ the ICP. Also look inside the ICP where the harness plug was, is there oil in it?

#9 ·
ok i tried it, when it was cold it idled down rougher then picked it self up and ran smoother, but I took it around the my park idling and then i tried it again and it didn't do any difference once it got warm. i do have oil in the sensor but not in the electric plus that plugs into the sensor

#10 ·
I'm not convinced that this is a ICP issue. Without the ability to monitor the ICP, IPR % duty, and the HPO system in general I can be totally wrong here. Before you spend any more money on this lets do some testing.

My instinct here is that you have blown injector o-rings. When the engine is dead cold the oil is thicker (I know you know this already) and is harder to bypass the injector o-rings than it is as the oil heats up. The injector harness has four connection through the VC. With the engine running at operating temp and idling pull each connector and wait one minute. Did the idle change/roughen as the engine got used to not having those two injectors? If you pull one of the connectors and nothing happens (or barely nothing happens) lets go farther.

#12 ·
Could, if several of the injectors are passing oil the HPOP will have trouble keeping pressure up and the injectors would fire poorly. Not a bad fix just time consuming.

#14 ·
ok, welp that was the wrong direction. Sorry bud, I just hate to see you spending all this money and nothing has fixed your issue yet.

thinking........................

#15 ·
its cool lol, I just want something to work lol im hopeing its not the oil pump, but also keep in mind the truck does have 270,000 miles so Im not sure if that's plays a role too. I mean to me that's a lot of miles but im not sure how it is compared to a diesel

#16 ·
Consider that an engine's life (in distance on speedo) is on average determined by it's average working RPM (heartbeat) to make that distance. A Diesel typically runs at 2/3's or less RPMs then the same Gasser next to it. Fewer heartbeats longer life. 300-400k is typical overhaul on the standard 7.3L Power Stroke. This is extended by how well it was taken care of. Then, there are those destine to destroy themselves....like mine....needing $1k's per year to keep chugging along. But I love her and will spend it all to keep her going.

#17 ·
Tear one out of a SD in a wrecking yard. Wash it fill it with oil yourself and hand crank it till she passes clean oil out the other side. Then install it.

#19 ·
Another thing to check (and won't cost anything to check ... just time): If you are not using oil between changes, you could always run the engine with the valvecovers removed to see if oil is leaking out around the base of the injectors (indicating a bad top o-ring). Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.