Truck stalling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 05:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck stalling

OK. About 2 weeks ago I pulled the Turbo to fix oil leaks and to gut pedistal of ebpv crap. I also fixed a leak on my driver side hpop line where it goes into the head. Good news is that my valley is still oil free. Bad news is my check engine light comes on and goes off periodically and the truck stalls sometimes. When the check engine lights comes on or off the truck acts like it is dying for a couple seconds before I am able to continue driving. My buddy has a snap on computer and the only thing it read was ICP low voltage. I know the ICP reads hpop pressure in the line which is controlled by the IPR. The idle has been rough as heck lately. And somtimes it idles as smooth as a baby bottom. I pulled the icp connector apart and cleaned pins with contact cleaner even though it had no oil on pins. Can my ipr be going out to cause my icp to read low voltage due to oil pressure dropping? Or is this a sign my hpop is going and cannot maintain pressure anymore? The oil leak that i fixed was on the icp sensor line. That causing this crazy behavior? Thank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 PM

I'm not quite sure from the description you have of your truck at the bottom of your post, but I want to make sure you have a 7.3L turbo diesel. If it is, the most common problem with the 7.3L turbo diesel engines stalling is due to a bad cam position sensor. I'm not sure of all the other problems you mentioned, but a CPS is fairly cheap (About $25.00) and if you haven't changed it, I recomend you do. If anything, you will eliminate this problem for now as well as the future and know if you have other issues. I had to change mine about 3 years ago because of stalling. There was never any rhyme or reason when it would stall. It drove me nuts for a few days until a hot shot driver with a truck like mine told me what it probably was. If I remember right, the CPS is located in the block behind the harmonic balancer and has a wire going to it with a single bolt holding it in place and only takes about 15 minutes to change.

Last edited by str8razor; 04-26-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I 2nd the CPS. If it fixes problem, great. If not, you have a spare... you will need it.

My brother in law was the mechanic at the local Fire Dept, they had several 7.3l. Whenever they started acting up, first thing he would do is change the CPS and that fixed it more often than not.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:32 AM

I just saw an old reply of mine right after I changed my CPS where I said it was a 10mm bolt. I thought I would save you a trip or two under your truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-04-2013, 06:08 PM

Fix

I figured I would tell the solution to my problem. I read in a service manual a way to figure out if your ICP or IPR are going bad. Both can cause a rough idle (so can CPS). The manual said to unplug your ICP. This defaults your computer to like 700 psi. If this fixes the rough idle then replace ICP. If problem persists then replace IPR. Luckily for me when I unplugged my ICP my idle smoothed out. So I bought a new ICP and replaced. No more check engine light or stalling or hickuping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.