Exhaust temps, what is normal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust temps, what is normal

Ok, as stated many times over, i am not a diesel mechanic or even good a faking it to date but, i want to ensure my girl lasts a long time.

Installed on this rig is a banks power pack system, or so says the previous owner. I have a gauge for Pyro, exhaust temp. Is this the same is the EGT's everyone talks about?

I ask because i noticed, as i drive up a hill about 3% for less than 400 feet, my girl goes from 350 up as high as 750 at a speed of 35-40 mph. I noticed she climes high when i dump on the go pedal, i understand this is the reason for heat but, it seems like it goes higher than it did last week.

As highway speed 65-70 Mph with cruise on and RPMs just shy of 2k, she runs in the high 600's.

Can someone explain what i should expect? Keep in mind, i do believe the gauge is installed wrong. Everyone says to install the probe in the exhaust manny but, mine per the Banks book is installed in the top of the turbine outlet pipe. Should i change location or just know it is about 200 degrees shy of the truth, which would concern me more?

I plan to blank the cat when i get money for a delete pipe and i know this will help a little, i have the inner cooler and also plan to buy a 6.0 fan and install. Any other ideas to lower EGT's, if this is what my gauge is telling me.

Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

Is there anyone can help me with this?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

egt's shouldn't go above 1250-1300...with out a "hot" tune or towing heavy most people wont go even close...pre or post turbo are your numbers?

BTW dump the banks chip (if it has one) and get a TS/DP chip.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannanw View Post
egt's shouldn't go above 1250-1300...with out a "hot" tune or towing heavy most people wont go even close...pre or post turbo are your numbers?

BTW dump the banks chip (if it has one) and get a TS/DP chip.
Banks chip is history by way of a computer replacement in 08 by PO and chip no works. A TW 6 pos is in my sights when the Homestead CFO authorizes.

My gauge is hooked up to read post turbo. Is that correct or should i relocate to the exhaust mannifold? If it does not matter i would rather not move it.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:32 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would suggest moving it, matt aka bigfuel post a pik of a cummins on an engine load stand and showed something like 500* difference between pre and post turbo, and I have noticed in my trucks that it is anwhere from 300-600* difference pre and post turbo, so I say move it to the manifold, and anything north of 1250 you start melting things if you sustain that to long, if you want to cool it off even more try an intercooler and water meth injection, I cruise at around 600-700* in my 97, and before my intercooler it was around 750-800, I stay at 75-80mph at those temps
Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
I would suggest moving it, matt aka bigfuel post a pik of a cummins on an engine load stand and showed something like 500* difference between pre and post turbo, and I have noticed in my trucks that it is anwhere from 300-600* difference pre and post turbo, so I say move it to the manifold, and anything north of 1250 you start melting things if you sustain that to long, if you want to cool it off even more try an intercooler and water meth injection, I cruise at around 600-700* in my 97, and before my intercooler it was around 750-800, I stay at 75-80mph at those temps
Got the inner cooler. removing CAT soon, and have no idea about water meth injuection. In my neck of the woods, if i say meth too loud i will tackled to the ground my both swat and the meth heads. LOL i suppose i will move the probe, i knew that was coming. Looking at your temps, i am running the same, just not reading from the same location. I am in for a big surprise when i move it.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
more than likely you would be, but the main thing is seeing the temp before the turbo so it don't melt, as oppose to after you've already ran that temp plus through the turbo

I should have read your sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.