gpr issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gpr issue

so the other day it decided to get cold again and my truck decided it wasn't going to start without a fight. it started great all winter. so i checked the gpr and the post near the firewall didn't read anything with the key on....u know the story. well i replaced the driver side plugs with crap autolites and haven't touched the passenger tell i can get 8 duratherm or w/e. bought a duralast gpr for the time being. and it read fine except i was confused why the little posts would read different numbers like 11v one side and 5 the other. next day it snowed and truck didn't fire. checked the relay today and the post toward the firewall is not reading anything like its bad. im not a fan of duralast but could it really break in a day? I've had bad altetnators right from the getgo maybe this is the same deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make sure the little post wire is on the right one.
And yes, it is possible to get bad parts right out of the box

Last edited by Fordman247365; 04-10-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 AM

its plug and play so i know the little posts r good. and i didn't swap the big posts so idk hopefully another one will fix it
Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Also make sure that the GPR has a good ground. Some manufacturers still think that a self grounding relay is a good idea and they work the first time you install it but with some vibration and dirt the thing stops working because of a simple bad ground. Generally I have found, and was supported by others on here, that the less expensive GPR are at their limit for our glow plug system before you take them out of the box. I.E. they are not rated for the amperage x the time they are "on" on a good cold day start-up. Diesel Brad turned me onto a tractor shop that sells drop in "GPR" that are actually HIGH AMP continuous contactors that are inexpensive and actually "heavy duty". I'll try and see where he sent me unless he chimes in first but check your ground and supply to the little posts first.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:22 PM

i might just run a wire ground it else where. def find me a link for those tractor style relays. this new relay seems to be working but im sure its just the glow plugs. i tested it its reading 11.6v on both big posts while its in the on position but still hard firing it sat for 15 hours got down to 25 last night been 40 all day. im hoping command components will fix it. i noticed on the small posts while its in the on position that the driver side post is around 11v while the passenger side is around v.5v would that be because i only changed the driver side plugs.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Watch what you do with grounding the GPR. The GPR must be a case-isolated type or the glowplugs will not turn off. The GPR large terminals, obviously will not be grouned except through the plugs themselves. The small terminals will also not be grounded until the PCM provides it. With all wires disconnected from the relay, none of the terminals should see ground (if they do it is not case-isolated). Cheers!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Crap, I knew there was something with our GPR that was different than a standard contactor. I accept the even if you were being nice and not naming names.

Anyway, here is the relay. The others will know this as the western relay mod. The -1 relay is a stock replacement and the -2 might need a little mod'ing to work.

Western Plow Relay

300 amps for 60 seconds, 400 amps for 30 seconds, and 150 amps till the end of time.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM

pretty sure its just the plugs the relay is working well. if i quits im def ordering one thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.